Mama Baird’s Homestead

« Older   Newer »

1.     +6   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I watched one video and turned her off. She was bragging about going to all the food banks and getting as much as she could. Then she stopped for an expensive coffee and mentioned how she often gets one while out. As if that wasn't bad enough, she was going thru what she had gotten and was complaining about what she was given. It totally turned me off.

2. Lemeeatcake
        +7   Like  

User deleted

So she canned vegetables in an old spaghetti jar with the original Classico spaghetti sauce lid, I am no canner but I am 1000% certain this cannot be a safe canning practice…..disregard this is Mama to All homestead…..homesteading at the food bank, lol

3.     +7   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group
    Burning My Neck with Bacon Grease at Waffhoe House

Status
    Anonymous
    She even cans milk. She is terrible with safe canning practices. Worse than Becky by a mile

4.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    Hmmmmmmm never heard of this one!!!! :1485540604:

5.     +5   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Her kitchen is filthy. Her cutting board looks like it's been outside and never cleaned. Her stove and microwave have food debris all over the place. She's sloppy cook and lacks real technique/skill. Her food looks subpar. She, herself, looks unkept and sweaty. I can't see the appeal at all.

6.     +7   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    When I first saw her I applauded her destigmatizing of using the food bank. More people should see that there is no shame in going to the food bank even if they are working. But I saw how fast the greed and grift developed. It's at the point I don't think she needs food any longer, her freezer must be stuffed plus she has all that questionable canned food. I don't know why these YouTubers take such advantage of their kind subscribers. That is shameful.

7.     +7   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    It was hard for me to realize that in order to make ends meet, I'd need to go to a Food Bank. The first time was scary because I had no idea how it worked. I saw a worker kinda standing around and asked them "the process". NONE of the workers shamed people in any way. During the time I went, the man running the operation got a little friendly with me and asked about my circumstances. He wasn't being nosy, he just wanted to see if I needed access to other resources.

I didn't know what to expect, really, but didn't want to get into a situation where I'd be shamed or called out. It's hard enough to come to that realization you need help....when you've never needed it before.

8.     +8   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    One positive thing I will say about her is this: one of her twin boys likes to wear dresses, sparkly tops and “girly” shoes and she unashamedly lets him, even on camera. She even showed a dress he might like when she was at Goodwill. I was really surprised that neither she nor her husband seems to have a problem with that. I am only surprised because they seem to be the live-off-the-land, tough guy, politically conservative types (though I could totally be wrong about that).

9.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group
    Burning My Neck with Bacon Grease at Waffhoe House

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Jay-Bee @ 1/2/2023, 19:32) 
    It was hard for me to realize that in order to make ends meet, I'd need to go to a Food Bank. The first time was scary because I had no idea how it worked. I saw a worker kinda standing around and asked them "the process". NONE of the workers shamed people in any way. During the time I went, the man running the operation got a little friendly with me and asked about my circumstances. He wasn't being nosy, he just wanted to see if I needed access to other resources.

I didn't know what to expect, really, but didn't want to get into a situation where I'd be shamed or called out. It's hard enough to come to that realization you need help....when you've never needed it before.

Here we don’t really “qualify” people. We figure if they show up that they need the help because like you said, it’s scary and sometimes embarrassing to ask for help. Of course, we probably do get people who don’t need the help but we figure that is a low number of people. I am sure her food bank doesn’t qualify people either. I am glad the man you spoke with was trying to see if you qualified for any other services. Lots of women and children at our food bank actually qualify for WIC even though they don’t qualify for food stamps. People are shocked by that but we always encourage them to sign up because WIC does an excellent job of providing a lot of food to women and children.

10.     Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    QUOTE (bitchybetty @ 2/1/2023, 10:25 PM) 

Here we don’t really “qualify” people. We figure if they show up that they need the help because like you said, it’s scary and sometimes embarrassing to ask for help. Of course, we probably do get people who don’t need the help but we figure that is a low number of people. I am sure her food bank doesn’t qualify people either. I am glad the man you spoke with was trying to see if you qualified for any other services. Lots of women and children at our food bank actually qualify for WIC even though they don’t qualify for food stamps. People are shocked by that but we always encourage them to sign up because WIC does an excellent job of providing a lot of food to women and children.
    [/QUOTE]

Right, mine didn't "qualify" people either. They did ask you to register and just show any form of ID. I asked what it was for, and they said the they really only tracked "households" as they'd ask how people in the house....nothing more. It was for recordkeeping they needed to provide to the IRS, the County (since they got a small subsidy), and to provide statistical info to the corporate stores that donated items. I did get a postcard in the mail to a "special giveaway" where they had a very limited number of donations from Blue Apron (I think) and only mailed out cards to registered people as they didn't have enough to freely give away to everyone that showed up.

They did protect people's privacy though, a news crew showed up at a giveaway right before a holiday and they started filming people. The volunteers blocked them and asked them to leave. Even though we were lined up outside, no one wanted to be filmed or interviewed.

There was one time a limousine pulled up, the back door flung open and a very poshly dressed woman demanded 3 cooked turkeys....immediately. When they told her that she'd have to register and get in line, she came out with a string of obscenities and left. Now, they didn't deny her anything....just said she couldn't cut the line and she'd get what was being given. They didn't give out cooked turkeys anyway. That was weird.

11.     Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    🍿 🍿 🍿

12.     Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    QUOTE (I am whatever you say I am. @ 2/2/2023, 02:24 AM) 
    🍿 🍿 🍿

LOL. I think this thread hasn't picked up steam yet.

13.     +2   Like  

Spinach Square
    Spinach Square

Group

Status
    It looks like she never bathes. Like ever. At least her voice isn't as irritating as Becky's. And she has a tiny bit of common sense. She just got a cookbook from the Goodwill and is trying a Spanish rice recipe and says that she's following it to the letter the first time to see how it tastes, and you should always do that first and then the next time you can change it.

I just watched another one where she mixed up chicken salad and cauliflower salad for her family in one of those pyrex mixing glasses with the handles. Overflowing it, just like Becky.

Her red dutch oven looks like it's in similar shape to Becky's, but one of the handles is completely broken off. I don't know if hers is a Le Creuset or not.

14.     +2   Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Kewel Ainchillawda @ 2/2/2023, 08:00) 
    It looks like she never bathes. Like ever. At least her voice isn't as irritating as Becky's. And she has a tiny bit of common sense. She just got a cookbook from the Goodwill and is trying a Spanish rice recipe and says that she's following it to the letter the first time to see how it tastes, and you should always do that first and then the next time you can change it.

I just watched another one where she mixed up chicken salad and cauliflower salad for her family in one of those pyrex mixing glasses with the handles. Overflowing it, just like Becky.

Her red dutch oven looks like it's in similar shape to Becky's, but one of the handles is completely broken off. I don't know if hers is a Le Creuset or not.

It’s definitely not a Le Creuset. I’ve seen the lid. I don’t know what brand it is though. She has a new one on her Griftlist though.

15.     +6   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    I can certainly forgive non-name brand cookware, and dollar store utensils and so forth.

Can't overlook filth. Can't spend 5 minutes running a cleaning cloth over and around things? Gross.

1388 replies since 31/1/2023, 20:50   61481 views