Dr. Dray Pt. 1

« Older   Newer »

1.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Yay a Dr Dray thread! I haven't watched her in quite a while. Never saw the mask. Wow! I have some catching up to do.

2.     +4   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    I’ve been wondering why we didn’t have a thread for her! I do think she has some decent skincare advice but her voice and obvious eating disorder make her so hard to watch!

3. Mumbles McBabyHands

User deleted

FINALLY! I'm so glad we got a Dr Dray thread! I used to watch her all the time but haven't lately. I have so many questions and I'm learning new things reading here. I'm going to have to catch up and jump back in.

I didn't know she had a sister that passed away. :( I hadn't heard any about her father before either so thanks for sharing some background story ladies.

I liked her and her Mom and I root for them but I had to take a break. Her appearance was getting more and more concerning. Sounds like things have gotten a lot worse in recent months. Not just with appearance type issues but mental health as well as it seems she has really amped up the OCD stuff over the sun. I'm conscientious about the sun too and like to think I'm pretty good at protecting myself from it by she is on a whole other level than I've ever seen in my life. She like Tanning Mom from back in the day but on the opposite end of the spectrum.

I did watch a vlog a few weeks ago randomly and saw the Mom's hair was very different. Did she just cut it and grow color out or is she ill?

4.     +10   Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    I have had an eating disorder in the past. Anorexia specifically. I had it about 12 years until I miscarried due to being so underweight. That kind of snapped me into reality and I gained some weight and had a successful pregnancy shortly thereafter and a few years later, another successful pregnancy.

For me, the anorexia was rooted in control. Life is so crazy, so much going on, so much is out of our hands. I don’t like feeling out of control but the one thing you can absolutely control is what you put in your mouth.
    Obviously anorexia is a mental illness. Quite randomly I decided I could not eat more than 7 items a day - three were beverages, that left me four items. They were usually a donut, a pickle, some cheese and maybe a piece of chicken or steak. I weighed about 97 pounds (I’m 5’2” with very slight bone structure). I didn’t know I was tragically thin. This was the 80’s, things were crazy back then. I worked for a dance company, everyone was thin.

I THINK Dr. Dray is anorexic although the stain around her lips may indicate a bulimia. Regardless, there is zero I can do to help her. She has to help herself. No comment from any viewer will make a difference. I think she is smart and accomplished. I appreciate the information she provides. I don’t mind her shilling products as usually the ‘sell job’ isn’t the whole video (but it was for the ‘Productive Morning’ video). I’m beginning to think she is right. All you need is Retin A and a combination moisturizer/sunscreen, then for me a full face of makeup - lol.

I didn’t realize she had a sibling pass away. Not something easy to move forward from - especially for a parent. To lose a child is in my opinion, the greatest tragedy. Could be she is concerned about her mom and her mom is concerned about her. Maybe they are hanging onto each other for dear life.
    I notice her mom isn’t slathering the sunscreen on but is vegan. Dr. Dray has been wearing the gloves and mask to show people who are totally sun intolerant that products do exist for them. She said she would move on from them at some point. In the video where she was wearing the parka she said it was warm in Houston but was wearing the parka as a nod to the many being hit by the cold snap.

Oh yes, the morning exercises and after work going to the gym is another indication she is anorexic/bulimia. There is a chance she isn’t, but I’m going to say she is - but again, there is nothing I can do to help, so I will just enjoy her content as long as I find the topics relevant.

5. Mumbles McBabyHands
        +5   Like  

User deleted

Thanks for sharing your own journey with it Politico. I agree it's a mental health issue and personally, I'm one who thinks it's helpful and healthy to talk about things. I have dealt with anxiety & PTSD and I eventually came to a place in my life where I was like, okay I can't keep living like this, I'm ready to work on it. I got in therapy and I talk about it openly now and being open like that has made a few people in my life feel comfortable enough to share their own struggles with me and take my advice to get in therapy. So I think you sharing your situation here is awesome for anyone who might read it and get some inspiration from it.

In the past, I've been hesitant to jump on board with saying "Dr Dray has anorexia" or whatever might be the issue because I thought, well, maybe this is her version of healthy? Maybe it was worse before but now she is maintaining and doing better? Some people are naturally thin and she has mentioned doing ballet for years so I though ok, maybe this is just her body type and that's ok. Or maybe she was really bad previously and what we see now is someone post treatment, working on it and doing ok? I'm definitely not experienced with ED's or that knowledgeable about them so it's not my place to say or attempt to diagnose, I have zero medical education. But, while I enjoyed her quirky little personality, her close relationship with her Mom and all the educating she shared, eventually the physical appearance did get so distracting for me that I had to give her a break. That Mama part of me would be hurting for her like oh sweetie we need to get you some help. I root for her though. I assume battling ED's are just like battling depression or anxiety in that it's something you'll probably always have to work at and something that gets better at times and worse at times?

6.     +2   Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    I watch some of Dr Dray's videos and I find most of her information helpful, I do sometimes find her uncomfortable to watch, she's a little extreme for me, the exercise, the eating etc. also she seems very lonely and introverted which is not a problem per se, but I think it's the toys and planners etc I find most disconcerting! She has no life so what does she fill the planners with?

I think it's a shame she seems to have given up work to do YT full time. It's an unhealthy way to live to me, especially with such little outside social interaction. I have to confess I'm worried for her...

7.     +4   Like  

Gluten Free Banana Bread
    Gluten Free Banana Bread

Group
    Shopping for a Tensleigh Blue Dress to Wear to the Party!

Status
    Anonymous
    I have found I do better with her when I just listen to her videos while I am doing other things. She does have good info.

8.     +2   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I’ve only been watching her a short time and haven’t watched older vids so I don’t know if she was healthier in the past or what. I find her oddly fascinating, not sure why. Maybe because most people I watch on YT don’t have any brain cells while Dray clearly has a brain but is still totally messed up, maybe more messed up than the others. I guess you just never know.

9.     Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    At my job, we can use DronDemand. It's an app and they do have a dermatologist on staff. You have to use skype or facetime.

10.     +4   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    Regarding her lips, one symptom of malnutrition is sores in the corner of the mouth. That combined with the lanugo is a really scary sign, she's clearly not doing well.

I feel like she probably has orthorexia rather than standard anorexia. I don't think she's TRYING to be ultra-thin, but her quest to make her diet as clean and healthy as possible seems to be making her very sick. She doesn't seem to eat a ton of solid food, mostly juices and smoothies. It's sad. She seems like a lovely woman, she's obviously really intelligent, but it's so hard to watch her this way.

11. PillPoppinSkank
        +3   Like  

User deleted

Former ED sufferer here too. I think that is why it is so hard to watch her. I don't find her triggering, thankfully, but I'm willing to bet that she has followers who see her as a pro-ana account. If anything, she makes me so proud to be healthy.

I like to follow accounts that are inspirational to me. Where I'd go, "I want my skin to look like hers!" I do not feel that way at all about her.

12.     +2   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Wonder what on earth happened in this gal's background to make her develop an issue of control over food? How could she have become a doctor and also a skeleton without someone committing her? She is very near death and no one in her life seem to care.

She is a death playing out on You Tube. Too sickening to watch.

13.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Is she that malnourished vegan doctor? God lord she looks terrible and who would take advice from her? Her face is sunken and drawn and her skin color is gray with breakouts around her mouth. Signs of advanced vegan starvation. The sun is very important and routine exposure is vital for good health. The human body makes Vit D, as well as other vital hormones, from cholesterol and exposure to sunlight on the skin. I protect my face and neck for vanity reasons but allow my body to absorb the benefits of sun exposure.

14.     +7   Like  

Gluten Free Banana Bread
    Gluten Free Banana Bread

Group
    Global Mod

Status
    Anonymous
    She reminds me a little of Tracey Gold from The Growing Pains when she was dealing with the worst of her ED.

15. PillPoppinSkank
        +3   Like  

User deleted

QUOTE (.Edie. @ 2/13/2019, 05:28 PM) 
    She reminds me a little of Tracey Gold from The Growing Pains when she was dealing with the worst of her ED.

Very much so. When I had my ED, I had a VHS documentary on Tracey and would watch obsessively for "tips". :(

940 replies since 12/2/2019, 23:54   517443 views