Dr. Dray Pt. 1

« Older   Newer »

1. Tabbycat
        +2   Like  

User deleted

QUOTE (Politico93 @ 2/12/2019, 11:52 PM) 
    I have had an eating disorder in the past. Anorexia specifically. I had it about 12 years until I miscarried due to being so underweight. That kind of snapped me into reality and I gained some weight and had a successful pregnancy shortly thereafter and a few years later, another successful pregnancy.

For me, the anorexia was rooted in control. Life is so crazy, so much going on, so much is out of our hands. I don’t like feeling out of control but the one thing you can absolutely control is what you put in your mouth.
    Obviously anorexia is a mental illness. Quite randomly I decided I could not eat more than 7 items a day - three were beverages, that left me four items. They were usually a donut, a pickle, some cheese and maybe a piece of chicken or steak. I weighed about 97 pounds (I’m 5’2” with very slight bone structure). I didn’t know I was tragically thin. This was the 80’s, things were crazy back then. I worked for a dance company, everyone was thin.

I THINK Dr. Dray is anorexic although the stain around her lips may indicate a bulimia. Regardless, there is zero I can do to help her. She has to help herself. No comment from any viewer will make a difference. I think she is smart and accomplished. I appreciate the information she provides. I don’t mind her shilling products as usually the ‘sell job’ isn’t the whole video (but it was for the ‘Productive Morning’ video). I’m beginning to think she is right. All you need is Retin A and a combination moisturizer/sunscreen, then for me a full face of makeup - lol.

I didn’t realize she had a sibling pass away. Not something easy to move forward from - especially for a parent. To lose a child is in my opinion, the greatest tragedy. Could be she is concerned about her mom and her mom is concerned about her. Maybe they are hanging onto each other for dear life.
    I notice her mom isn’t slathering the sunscreen on but is vegan. Dr. Dray has been wearing the gloves and mask to show people who are totally sun intolerant that products do exist for them. She said she would move on from them at some point. In the video where she was wearing the parka she said it was warm in Houston but was wearing the parka as a nod to the many being hit by the cold snap.

Oh yes, the morning exercises and after work going to the gym is another indication she is anorexic/bulimia. There is a chance she isn’t, but I’m going to say she is - but again, there is nothing I can do to help, so I will just enjoy her content as long as I find the topics relevant.

Thanks for sharing your story. I agree, there's nothing I can do. I do enjoy a lot of her content, as her recommendations work pretty well for me.

QUOTE (Mumbles McBabyHands @ 2/13/2019, 12:08 AM) 
    In the past, I've been hesitant to jump on board with saying "Dr Dray has anorexia" or whatever might be the issue because I thought, well, maybe this is her version of healthy? Maybe it was worse before but now she is maintaining and doing better? Some people are naturally thin and she has mentioned doing ballet for years so I though ok, maybe this is just her body type and that's ok. Or maybe she was really bad previously and what we see now is someone post treatment, working on it and doing ok? I'm definitely not experienced with ED's or that knowledgeable about them so it's not my place to say or attempt to diagnose, I have zero medical education. But, while I enjoyed her quirky little personality, her close relationship with her Mom and all the educating she shared, eventually the physical appearance did get so distracting for me that I had to give her a break. That Mama part of me would be hurting for her like oh sweetie we need to get you some help. I root for her though. I assume battling ED's are just like battling depression or anxiety in that it's something you'll probably always have to work at and something that gets better at times and worse at times?

It was similar for me, I don't have any experience with ED's. I've been watching her channel from almost the beginning, and grew to like her, at least in the early days. But like you, the appearance is starting to get to me. I have a daughter and I can only imagine what her mother is going through.

2.     +5   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    I don't get it....this woman is clearly ill. CLEARLY. It's insanity to think "well maybe this is her "healthy"! Say what?

I can't believe anyone can get past that to even listen to her advice, sunscreen crap etc....Anything she says or suggests is suspect.

Edited by LLCNYC - 2/13/2019, 01:33 PM

3. PillPoppinSkank

User deleted

QUOTE (LLCNYC @ 2/13/2019, 07:30 PM) 
    I don't get it....this woman is clearly ill. CLEARLY.

Anything she says or suggests is suspect.

I agree. I cannot even imagine how horrible she must look in person.

4.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Seriously? Just no. She needs a hospital not another pic or video.

IMG_1300

5.     +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    It’s actually remarkable she has the energy she does to churn out so many videos. I wonder if her poor mother is just numb to the situation. : (

6. PillPoppinSkank
        +1   Like  

User deleted

:in-disbelief-smiley-emoticon:

7.     +10   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (LLCNYC @ 13/2/2019, 19:30) 
    I don't get it....this woman is clearly ill. CLEARLY. It's insanity to think "well maybe this is her "healthy"! Say what?

I can't believe anyone can get past that to even listen to her advice, sunscreen crap etc....Anything she says or suggests is suspect.

^THIS. 👍🏼
    I would love to see YouTube shut her down. I can't imagine people looking to her as inspo on anything. No one should be dispensing advice when they are that ill. I don't care how many medical journals on skin she can recite from. It's not right. We don't need proana channels, and she definitely is triggering to some that are in recovery.

Just some more background for those new to her: her issues with food and the control of it extend way past what she eats. She will not allow food to touch her kitchen surfaces without a towel or something underneath. She uses an adult bib meant for the elderly or infirm. She also tends to eat with children's utensils and placemats.

I think she is very childlike all around. She colors in coloring books while mommy cooks. She allows her almost 70 yr old mother to drive her around everywhere. And, she has an odd fascination with young children's toys. Remember the Hatchimals? She bought and played with them in a video. No joke.

8.     +2   Like  

Gluten Free Banana Bread
    Gluten Free Banana Bread

Group
    Global Mod

Status
    Anonymous
    Maybe she's regressed. Wow. That's a lot to take in. I don't know where a psychiatrist would start with her.

I think she looks related to Jen Ross in some way. I can't put my finger on it.

9. Mumbles McBabyHands
        +2   Like  

User deleted

QUOTE (LLCNYC @ 2/13/2019, 01:30 PM) 

I should clarify, I haven't watched her regularly in recent months. Back when I was watching her, I thought she looked frail but was trying to give the benefit of the doubt that maybe she was working on it. She seemed to be maintaining. I watched a couple last night and she has clearly gotten even worse since then. I would agree, she looks to be in an obvious very bad shape with an ED at this point. Hearing that she's no longer working outside the home and has isolated herself further is also very troubling to hear. She needs professional help IMO and I hope she opens herself up to seeking it.

ETA - Wait what? She plays with childrens toys and is fascinated by them? coloring while Mommy cooks? yeah this situation has definitely gotten even worse, and it was bad to start with.

10. Tabbycat
        +3   Like  

User deleted

QUOTE (LLCNYC @ 2/13/2019, 11:30 AM) 

I don't mean to single you out, but your quote was a good jumping point.

To be clear, I watch other skincare professionals and chemists on You Tube, and listen to a podcast by chemists. Those are my main go to's. Going from what I've learned from them, she is still giving out accurate skin care information. At this point, whatever illness she has hasn't affected that area, at least not completely. Anyone is free to choose who to watch, but don't assume that just because someone has a different viewpoint that they aren't researching other avenues.

11. PillPoppinSkank
        +4   Like  

User deleted

A lot of people with EDs come off as grumpy and cold (because they are hungry!), and that is totally the vibe that I get from her. Isolation is another HUGE red flag. She looks like she is in her mid-40s at least, and for someone in the skincare profession, she should look younger than she is and not older.

I am shocked that she has as many IG followers as she does. I do not get the appeal at all.

12. Cleanupinaisle4

User deleted

QUOTE (LLCNYC @ 13/2/2019, 19:39) 
    Seriously? Just no. She needs a hospital not another pic or video.

IMG_1300

Wow, this is disturbing! She has the body of a 9yr old. Someone who loves her and cares for her needs to step in and get her professional help, I can’t begin to imagine how hard her heart is working to keep her going. I wonder if she still has monthly periods?

13. PillPoppinSkank
        +1   Like  

User deleted

I didn't get my period when I had my ED and the lowest weight I was ever at was 92 pounds (at 5'4"). She is definitely thinner than that, and I really hope she gets help.

Edited by PillPoppinSkank - 2/14/2019, 02:08 AM

14.     +2   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    She does look worse!! … I haven't paid any attention to her for a several months, but she does look much thinner, and somehow "oilier" than before.

Wow - I am super thin, and at times have been extremely thin (stress makes me lose my appetite, plus I'm a smoker) and I always hated it when people would say something stupid, and thoughtless - but man she looks so frail, and why does she always look so oily????

I wonder if she has been abused somehow, and it has turned into all these issues … she is just strange, and seems to live a very unusual life ... and she also puts a lot of it out in the public, just strange.

15. Mumbles McBabyHands
        +2   Like  

User deleted

The sheen grosses me out. She always looks like she's freshly slathered on her creams that don't absorb in well and smeared vaseline all over her mouth. That picture is so sad. Her little chicken leg arm :very-sad-smiley-emoticon:

940 replies since 12/2/2019, 23:54   517443 views