JenBecomesInvisibleWhenSheIsMiserableWithWonder PT 258

« Older   Newer »

1.     Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    Here in Indiana, it just became legal to buy booze on Sunday two years ago.

2.     +1   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Suzanne’sBiggestFan @ 6/24/2021, 10:01 PM) 
    QUOTE (JENSEYEBROW @ 24/6/2021, 21:57) 
    Yes outlander fan here!!! I rented the books on audio using my library card with hoopla

I’ve thought about starting this. Is it husband friendly? He likes GOT and things like that.

DH and I were big Game of Thrones fans and we both enjoy Outlander!

3.     +12   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (ColdOne @ 24/6/2021, 22:33) 
    QUOTE (Clueless @ 6/24/2021, 02:26 PM) 
    Speaking of restricted selling times.....I'd be curious to know if anyone that grew up somewhere other than the U.S. had similar experiences. When I was young, circa 60's, I remember that the only store open on Sundays in our area was a Pharmacy. And it was open only from 12-3PM. It was very crowded after church lol.

I grew up in a small town in Canada and nothing was open on Sundays until after ~2005. The Walmart effect

It’s always funny when people move to Germany from other countries, especially overseas, and tell you completely confused that they tried to buy groceries on a Sunday and stood in front of closed doors…

First rule if you come here:
    All shops are closed on Sundays, except for gas stations, restaurants and bars, some bakeries and emergency pharmacies.

Edited by husbandontherun - 24/6/2021, 23:00

4.     +7   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    I absolutely love all the Outlander books and all the Lord John books and all the other associated books. I've read every word Diana Gabaldon has written, even the Outlander graphic novel.

I'm really having trouble liking the TV series because they're changing it up too much for my liking. But I still watch every episode and anxiously await each new season. It's beautifully done and I like seeing the period costumes and sets (even though the big house in NC is not right--I know that's a petty thing to be bothered by).

My husband will watch with me if he's not doing something else and he enjoys it pretty well, but it's not appointment TV for him.

I enjoyed Men in Kilts too.

And now I want to go to Scotland, but I really don't like cold weather.

5.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I hate food shopping on Sundays. Also it blows my mind that places like Target are open at 7am on a Sunday, like that's one of the last places I'd want to be that early on a Sunday. I'm sure it's not even crowded at that hour but that's beside the point.

Show us a Target haul, Gene.

Edited by Breakdown - 6/24/2021, 05:07 PM

6.     +8   Like  

Gluten Free Banana Bread
    Gluten Free Banana Bread

Group
    Shopping for a Tensleigh Blue Dress to Wear to the Party!

Status
    Anonymous
    Clueless I remember when nothing was open on Sunday! Simpler times for sure!

7.     +16   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group
    At the airport, getting away from these kids and the mausoleum

Status
    Anonymous
    Like husbandontherun , I'm in Western Europe. Sundays are rest days. You can get your fresh bread and pastries. Maybe find an elusive grocery store open from 9 to noon. And that's it. Go home, go eat, go nap and lazy the end of you weekend away.

Personally, I love it. But the American tourists, oy vey, it's hard on them. :lol: "Why is everything closed? I just wanted to go exchange something at Sephora. I don't get it. It doesn't make sense."

8.     +5   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Clueless @ 6/24/2021, 09:26 PM) 
    Speaking of restricted selling times.....I'd be curious to know if anyone that grew up somewhere other than the U.S. had similar experiences. When I was young, circa 60's, I remember that the only store open on Sundays in our area was a Pharmacy. And it was open only from 12-3PM. It was very crowded after church lol.

Yep - Blue Laws. Had to do with religion...not sure why it was called a Blue Law though...growing up the grocery stores that sold other things for example like toys, were roped off so you couldn't purchase them.

The malls were closed and then eventually just opened 12:00 Noon to 6:00 p.m. Obviously some malls and stores are open full blast (again).

Also I live in Texas and we have some funny liquor laws and just recently have been able to buy beer and wine (only) in grocery stores thanks to I think either Sams Club or Costco changing that law somehow.

Still can only buy hard liquor Monday to Saturday at liquor stores - no Sundays.

To be honest, this is not a bad thing if you take the religious context out (or keep it in either). It keeps people home doing things together instead of out shopping. Or just makes people relax. We shop too much in the U.S. lol.

Of course it is definitely inconvenient if you work Monday through Friday and that's your only time to run errands.

9.     +2   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (AirportHashBrown @ 24/6/2021, 23:06) 
    Like husbandontherun , I'm in Western Europe. Sundays are rest days. You can get your fresh bread and pastries. Maybe find an elusive grocery store open from 9 to noon. And that's it. Go home, go eat, go nap and lazy the end of you weekend away.

Personally, I love it. But the American tourists, oy vey, it's hard on them. :lol: "Why is everything closed? I just wanted to go exchange something at Sephora. I don't get it. It doesn't make sense."

Another European! Where are you from?

10.     +4   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I've lived in a couple of primarily Jewish neighborhoods and I loved how most everything was closed for the sabbath - noticeably less traffic & noise :thumbs-up:

11.     +6   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group
    At the airport, getting away from these kids and the mausoleum

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (husbandontherun @ 24/6/2021, 23:09) 
    QUOTE (AirportHashBrown @ 24/6/2021, 23:06) 

One door down to the West, France! Guten Abend, Mann auf der Flucht (ahem).

12.     +1   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group
    frantically trying to turn my closet into a Crowned Athletics showroom to prove I'm in control of my life

Status
    QUOTE (It'sADog'sLife @ 24/6/2021, 19:01) 
    QUOTE (Clueless @ 24/6/2021, 18:58) 
    So this property sold in April via a trust and would be kind of equidistant from the SK and where Tens used to live.

It's big, that's about all I can say for it.

www.redfin.com/IL/Northfield/2323-...3/home/13803937

A big no. That bathroom is worse than Jen’s!

I got to that pic and had to leave the site. That stone tile all over the walls made my hair hurt.

13.     +8   Like  

Gluten Free Banana Bread
    Gluten Free Banana Bread

Group
    Shopping for a Tensleigh Blue Dress to Wear to the Party!

Status
    Anonymous
    When I was in Germany for the first time, I was shocked that the stores weren’t open on Sunday. Like my brother said “you just get what you need on Saturday. No big deal”

14.     +6   Like  

Spinach Square
    Spinach Square

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Its so beautiful on Sunday mornings when you can hear only bird chirping in the garden, barely any car noise

15.     +4   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (AirportHashBrown @ 24/6/2021, 23:13) 
    QUOTE (husbandontherun @ 24/6/2021, 23:09) 

One door down to the West, France! Guten Abend, Mann auf der Flucht (ahem).

:hearty-laugh: :goodbye_smiley_emoticon:

QUOTE (Yetta @ 24/6/2021, 23:16) 
    When I was in Germany for the first time, I was shocked that the stores weren’t open on Sunday. Like my brother said “you just get what you need on Saturday. No big deal”

Everyone is. Whenever I meet someone new ( USA, Portugal, Japan) that’s one of the first stories I hear 😂

:animated-smileys-hug-011:

Up until 30 years ago, all stores had to close at 6pm during the week, 2pm on Saturdays.

902 replies since 22/6/2021, 23:21   84997 views