« Older   Newer »

1.     +3   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group
    Making myself feel better by spewing negativity

Status
    Anonymous
    I have to hit up the local farm stand. They have a pick your own section, with peaches, peppers and tomatoes. However, it's a fucking circus from now through Thanksgiving. Every year I say I'm going to start a garden, and every year I never have the time.

2.     +5   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group
    waiting for more pretties to be cast off in rage

Status
    QUOTE (Idiot savant @ 13/8/2021, 22:06) 
    QUOTE (Meow2 @ 13/8/2021, 21:59) 
    Marnie always had me curious about HEB :lol: never been to one and I love seeing different grocery stores

at Whole Foods I always end up with random stuff I don't need :lol: same with Trader Joe's. I'd get so sidetracked by all the things they had that my grocery store didn't

luckily (?) I'm further away from civilization now so I'd have to burn some gas to get to WF or TJs lol

HEB is pretty awesome, but if you are ever in Utah, go to Harmon’s. It’s outstanding. Someday I hope to go to a Wegman’s.
    And I always recommend Publix even though we don’t have them in Texas.

Wegmans is amaaaaazing

QUOTE (ColdOne @ 13/8/2021, 22:07) 
    I LOVE browsing new grocery stores. I literally have "check out Meijer" on my local activities list haha

Same, and my husband is the same way. We always check out grocery stores when we travel, it’s entertainment to us. When wegmans opened in my area I think I was there for two hours on the day it opened 😂

3.     +3   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (zizizouzou @ 8/13/2021, 05:56 PM) 
    QUOTE (NotBeforeNoon @ 13/8/2021, 23:45) 
    What's wrong with green peppers?

In the words of Nigella Lawson, a 🫑 is an unripe pepper.

I had no idea. i learned something today. I still like them :snickering:

4.     +4   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group
    Secretly Filming My Husband Without Him Catching Me

Status
    Anonymous
    I really want to see a Wegman’s and HEB some day. I also wish we had Publix up here.

5.     +4   Like  

Spinach Square
    Spinach Square

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Pacific Northwest here.
    If whole foods = whole paycheck, then PCC market or metropolitan market = whole paycheck x2.
    Jen would abso-fricking-lutely love to shop here for non-conventional anything

Edited by Unserviceable Jenbot - 8/13/2021, 03:50 PM

6.     +4   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group
    waiting for more pretties to be cast off in rage

Status
    QUOTE (Mysterygal @ 14/8/2021, 00:19) 
    Since y'all are on the topic of peppers I have more peppers this year in my garden than I know what to do with. I'm just now harvesting my bell peppers but I got a ton of jalapenos already

(IMG:https://upload.forumfree.net/i/fc11926257/...0713_183313.jpg)

Pickle those jalapeños! That’s what I did, sooo good. No new garden since we moved, it’s a must for next year.

(Grocery stores, garden veggies, and now preserving - my nerdiest side is now entering the bakery)

Edited by NorthShoreExchange - 8/14/2021, 12:51 AM

7.     +22   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Y’all :confused-smiley-emoticon-1:

I thought we hit rock bottom during the c-word discussions, but the price of various coloured peppers is definitely worse :saying-a-prayer-smiley-emoticon

8.     +4   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I just went to TJ's before this conversation so I'm kinda bummed I couldn't add recommendations to my list. It was stupid busy so I didn't peruse as much as usual though. I love the white cheddar puffs, all the fun spice blends, the cranberry walnut chicken salad, most of the frozen stuff, and obviously cookie butter everything. I also love the seasonal stuff, like pumpkin bread mix and peppermint Joe Joe's.

I hate Whole Foods. I usually get regular groceries from Super Target and Publix. Pub subs are ~magical~ as are the baked beans in the deli area.

9.     +6   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I think the layout of Wegman's is designed for browsing, it's terrible but amazing :snickering:

Also I've been meaning to go to TJs for noms but it's a zoo on the weekends. Manchego cheese, GF crackers, red quinoa, chocolates, frozen Indian meals, maybe even tater tots if I'm feeling frisky.

Edited by Breakdown - 8/13/2021, 06:52 PM

10.     +42   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group

Status
    My husband built me this for Mother's Day this year. I love it. Container gardening is so easy. It's a lot easier than all of my raised beds I have. All it takes is a couple of buckets with holes drilled in them and you can be a gardener.

20210813_155000

11.     +2   Like  

Gluten Free Banana Bread
    Gluten Free Banana Bread

Group
    Shopping for a Tensleigh Blue Dress to Wear to the Party!

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (NotBeforeNoon @ 8/13/2021, 02:56 PM) 
    QUOTE (Meow2 @ 8/12/2021, 10:38 PM) 
    I just matched with Don on Tinder

Why is he still on Tinder? Because he's polyamorous? If so, hopefully Tensleigh only married for money.

NotBeforeNoon , he's not. Meow was joking about matching up with him. She isn't on Tinder, LOL

12.     +4   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Bangle Bitch @ 8/13/2021, 05:46 PM) 
    I really want to see a Wegman’s and HEB some day. I also wish we had Publix up here.

Never been in a Wegman, BUT HEB and their Central Market stores are THE BEST EVER. Fresh produce, a real meat and seafood market, with butchers and fish mongers. You see them actually cutting and trimming fish and they will cut your meat to order while you wait. Heaven. And they stand behind their product. Bought a fresh turkey for Thanksgiving, opened the package Thanksgiving morning and it had gone bad. Took it back (had the receipt) and yes they are open Thanksgiving. I spoke with the butcher, he refunded my money and walked me over the the fresh turkey counter and said "pick one you like". No charge. No hassle. No questions.

They stand behind everything, and you pay by the pound for produce most all of the time. Trader Joes makes me nuts charging PER BANANA rather than by the pound. For me? TJ's is a rip off. No real meat market, everything prepackaged from who knows where, nothing fresh made in the store. Nope. Not a fan or WF either. They've turned my WF into an Amazon shipping center, almost done away with fresh anything. BUT lots of huge shipping carts and wagons everywhere. Nope. It's HEB/Central Market and Kroger. They have a meat market with butcher too. YAY!

And Walmart and Sams or Costco for packaged things and larger sized things.

13.     +4   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group
    Making myself feel better by spewing negativity

Status
    Anonymous
    There's a Wegmans nearby that I've never been into and you all are making me want to go there this weekend.

14.     +9   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I made an 8x4 garden once. Grew tomatoes, cukes, squash and banana peppers. You do not need a lot of space, for sure.

15.     +14   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    I had an insane day. We lost power for a couple hours due to a storm. I had to start bailing water from my sump pump. I called my husband and told him to come home. Thank God the kids were here to carry buckets away as I filled them. I'm exhausted. It didn't phase them because they are running around. :yellow-laughing-smiley-emoticon And of course dh pulled in the driveway just as power went on. Now I need to buy a backup for the sump pump because I never want to do this again.

Anyway, I love Trader Joe's but do not like Whole Foods. I shop mostly at Trader Joe's and our local grocery store chain. Sometimes I go to Sprouts. I tried Amazon Fresh when I visited my mom in California and I hated it. They didn't have a lot of the things we were shopping for, so it was a waste of time.

It's hatch chile season! I bought about 12 of them today. Tomorrow I'm going to roast them. I'll get more next week to roast and freeze for future use. They are the best chiles.

For Disney World I think we have used Garden Grocer in the past. Have a great trip! The summer crowds are dying down now.

951 replies since 12/8/2021, 18:52   93778 views