The Happy Caravan

« Older   Newer »

1.     +3   Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    I've recently watched a few of their videos and can't quite figure them out. Looks like the mom makes most of the family's decisions and dad just goes along with it. The mom seems to be in love with everything. As a child, she loved her friends' family lives and wanted that. She loved college and wanted to take every class. She loved learning different languages and wanted to learn them all. She loved the modest attire of the women in her church and wanted to dress the same. She loved that they homeschooled and had lots of kids, so she decided to do it as well. Somewhere along the line, I guess she fell in love with classical music, so now all her children are to be classically trained by only the best. She also says she loves the crunchy moms, so she's that as well.
    To her credit, her children do seem well cared for and well behaved. They seem to have a good balance of healthy homemade meals, but also enjoy a candy or snack here and there.
    I need to watch more of their videos to get a better idea about them.

2.     +3   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Ah, Happy Caravan.
    They are quite the bunch, aren’t they?
    They live in a rented Brownstone in Harlem. They have basically the whole house but there are 2 apartments below street level that are occupied. The mom, Ashley, claims the rent is below $5,000 since it’s Harlem.
    Before they moved to NY they lived in San Diego or some Southern California city, I remember. Then in an Airstream camper. How they all fit in that with 10 kids and numerous large instruments is beyond me.
    All the kids are supposedly musically gifted, and they seem to all play string instruments. Violin, viola, cello, guitar are the ones I’ve seen.
    I don’t know, this life they are living seems like the hard way all around. Just going to church takes forever, navigating the streets and subway. Carrying their instruments all over the city in order to set up for busking. One video was all about them all walking forever, one boy carrying a huge case with a cello or bass or something. All the while SMILING.
    The kids are no doubt talented but the whole family gives off a creepy, religious zealot vibe.
    Ve got more to say about them but I’ll save for future posts.

3.     +3   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Thanks for posting. I'm fascinated in a weird creepy way with these folks and asked for a thread
    Glad to see other are joining in this bizarre , something ain't right, families adventures.
    It kills me they drag those kids all over NYC, to busk.
    Basically, sing for their supper .

4.     +2   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    I’m weirdly fascinated too. There’s a lot to wonder about: education, jobs, finances in general. I can’t imagine how they pay for this odd but totally chosen lifestyle

5.     +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Enoch clearly has an eating disorder but the parents dont help the situation

6.     +2   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    They own a large van, covered with the kids’ illlustrations. I’ve seen them drive it to Costco and other grocery stores.
    Yet they take the whole family out, with their instruments, on subways and walking to get to church or other places.
    I would think, even with limited parking, it would be cheaper to park in a parking garage than to pay for public transit for 12 of them. Wouldn’t it? Safer too. Those kids crossing the street of NYC make me cringe.

7.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Alohr @ 30/4/2023, 18:10) 
    I’m weirdly fascinated too. There’s a lot to wonder about: education, jobs, finances in general. I can’t imagine how they pay for this odd but totally chosen lifestyle

They were picked up by the same management company as the Dougherty Dozen .

8.     Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    So… how does that work? Do they get paid by that company?

9.     +2   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Alohr @ 2/5/2023, 15:05) 
    So… how does that work? Do they get paid by that company?

I believe so. The guy who owns the company went to jail in the 1990's for stealing something like 22 million from elderly people.
    Dad challenge Podcast did a bit on the management company..Sun and Sky
    Real pieces of work, in a bad way.

10.     +2   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    I watched a short of theirs today from when they all lived in the Airstream. How they slept, specifically
    Several of the kids slept on the floor.
    And it seems that was an every night occurrence, it was just how they slept.
    I felt really sorry for them. Imagine if some of your kids slept on the floor every night, like a dog.

11.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Alohr @ 4/5/2023, 03:55) 
    I watched a short of theirs today from when they all lived in the Airstream. How they slept, specifically
    Several of the kids slept on the floor.
    And it seems that was an every night occurrence, it was just how they slept.
    I felt really sorry for them. Imagine if some of your kids slept on the floor every night, like a dog.

They busk, or play their instruments for money on the street to pay the bills. This family really pisses me off. Dad has zero desire to work. Weirdo mom is running social media, and the kids do nothing but practice instruments 4 hours a day.
    They look anemic and tired, and the whole Jesus thing. The way she drags them through the streets of New York, carrying those heavy instruments, just to set up to busk for money, pisses me off.

12.     +1   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Someone asked in a recent video why they insist on taking public transit when they have a van.
    Amber says a parking garage costs about $75 in NYC.
    I wonder

13.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I watched the video where the mom takes some of the kids to see Naomi play at Juilliard (of course). The daughter can obviously play well, but i always wonder how playing a musical instrument becomes a passion and career goal for all kids in one family of 10 kids, especially since the parents don't have any musical education. I think that the mom is pushing her kids into playing a musical instruments for a large part, and insists that Juilliard is the ultimate goal. She was extremely negative about the one kid not getting a place a Juilliard and concluded he just doesn't work hard enough... The kids appear to be without any personality, they're like robots. When they're on their many excursions on the subway they don't speak, laugh or even show any emotion. Really odd. There's very little actual content in her videos. It's either travelling on the subway (about half each video) or going to a grocery store and something about how extremely musically gifted her kids are (and thus what an excellent parent she is) and that her husband makes dinner. The dinner is, of course, healthy and frugal. They're not having dinner as a family but the kids just grab something and eat (also because their dining room table doesn't fit all of them). How they can afford to live in this house remains unclear and mom has no intention to explain. They moved to NYC for the kids to attend Juilliard. Mom claims to "have never been to Juilliard" as her kids should attend classes without parents present. With her blatant obsession with Juilliard, it is difficult to believe.

14.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Yeah, she's weird.
    They signed with Sun and Sky management. That's Dougherty Dozens management team.
    That's how they live in NYC.

15.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Fresh everything @ 5/8/2023, 03:55 PM) 
    I watched the video where the mom takes some of the kids to see Naomi play at Juilliard (of course). The daughter can obviously play well, but i always wonder how playing a musical instrument becomes a passion and career goal for all kids in one family of 10 kids, especially since the parents don't have any musical education. I think that the mom is pushing her kids into playing a musical instruments for a large part, and insists that Juilliard is the ultimate goal. She was extremely negative about the one kid not getting a place a Juilliard and concluded he just doesn't work hard enough... The kids appear to be without any personality, they're like robots. When they're on their many excursions on the subway they don't speak, laugh or even show any emotion. Really odd. There's very little actual content in her videos. It's either travelling on the subway (about half each video) or going to a grocery store and something about how extremely musically gifted her kids are (and thus what an excellent parent she is) and that her husband makes dinner. The dinner is, of course, healthy and frugal. They're not having dinner as a family but the kids just grab something and eat (also because their dining room table doesn't fit all of them). How they can afford to live in this house remains unclear and mom has no intention to explain. They moved to NYC for the kids to attend Juilliard. Mom claims to "have never been to Juilliard" as her kids should attend classes without parents present. With her blatant obsession with Juilliard, it is difficult to believe.

I've become weirdly fascinated with this family too. Not sure what to make of them. The mom posted a video a while back, however, that showed that they use the Suzuki Method to start teaching their children how to play classical instruments very young. I'm not a musician so I don't know anything about it, but it teaches the child to play before they can read music (I think). Also, the mom is actually a musician and has had training and that's how she does this. Not sure about the dad. She works with a lot of the kids with their music practice. I kind of got the impression that she is vicariously living through her kids since she didn't make it or something. A baker above mentioned the Von Trapps and Sound of Music, and I've actually seen the mom refer to her family as a modern Von Trapp family in her videos.

I do think the mom does seem sweet and the kids seem loved, but I am always wary of any parents that predetermine a child's life for them, instead of letting them explore and develop themselves. Glad to have y'all to discuss with!

765 replies since 15/4/2023, 16:28   102188 views