Royal Families Pt. 4

« Older   Newer »

1. MissReview
        +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    QUOTE (adivinadivina @ 29/8/2023, 13:09) 
    QUOTE (zizizouzou @ 29/8/2023, 07:03) 
    Comparing politicians to the RF is not comparing apples to apples. Politicians can be voted out, we cannot vote the RF out. They are there by birthright and in a modern society that is ridiculous. Just like the US, in the UK we still pay a lot of taxes and the politicians get nothing done. However, we pay that on top of paying the RF. It’s like we are being taxed twice yet the country is in disarray.

Charles is one of the richest people in the world but we had to pay millions as taxpayers for the coronation, during a crippling cost of living crisis. Charles, as a British citizen, didn’t have to pay tax (40%) on the inheritance the Queen left him. Buckingham Palace is owned by the monarch of the moment (one of the richest people in the world) but we, the tax payers, have to pay for the upkeep. All this while people have to live in squalor because rents are so high or libraries are shutting down because local Governments can’t afford to keep them.

Charles has agreed to pay income tax, following in his mother’s footsteps. Myself and many others find the fact that they are given a choice, absurd and insulting. Their income comes from us the tax payers.

I don’t disagree that H&M have been and still are absolute brats. However, I disagree that the RF have been honourable and quiet about it all. They use the press to say what they won’t say with their own mouths.

As this is the Royal Families thread, I am glad we can have a civilised debate about that, rather than the usual one sided H&M bashing and OTT RF adoration.

Correct if im wrong but cant titles be removed? If so then if people actually wanted to to remove them like the grand majority they would not have the titles nor the power they do now. I think from a historical stand point if people actually want them out there was plenty of different times in history that could have happen yet it did not.

Just to add though, that removing constitutional structures is not that simple - and I know the US getting rid of UK monarchy is often cited - and you guys did! but it wasn't smooth sailing either, and in admittedly simpler times when it came to jurisdiction. Lots of New England citizens ended up exiled to Canada because of that. It's actually a source of social tension to this day where I live. In our day and age, it's not that simple. Hell, the Canadian Constitution isn't actually signed by all provinces to this day - so an overhaul of the political structure isn't all that easy. It is overdue, IMO, but not that simple, especially in times when there is kind of other crisis to attend to.

Personally maybe its the historian side i don't know but i like the royal family not saying the people, i dont get attached not even to celebrities or anyone of “importance” but the history its just great, lots of information i feel like the uk specially the royal family is a gold mind of history( other places are too but if i were to do my phd it would be uk, Ireland and Scandinavia)

Lots of interesting history in France, especially about royal families, plenty of artifacts and castles left, yet the actual aristocrats aren't needed for that. Not that the French revolution should be emulated, because the revolution itseld and the years that followed were absolute nightmare (actually called "La Terreur" or the Terror year.)

On another note i feel like H&M if they had done things differently then they would have less backlash but its the lying, the self importance and most of all crying victimhood without any evidence i don't believe. I need hard facts and evidence to believe people because then we just believe people blindly and accuse the other without any merit.

They are good gossip fodder because they keep handing the stick to beat them with - making a splash about how evil monarchy is, then giving their children titles ; saying they want a private life, then writing memoirs and producing documentaries... when they probably were rich enough to just ride into the sunset with a comfortable life, and would have been forgotten by the public soon enough. That being said, it's true that the rest of the family are also rich priviledge products of ultimate and obsolete nepotism. It's not like we still believe God gave them magical powers to lead the country.

P.S. i know comparing the RF to Politicians is not the best because of the structure but it was the best example i could come up with at the moment! Ill have to think about it more later to have a better example for that

785 replies since 26/4/2023, 18:50   83241 views