Frugal Queen in France

« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    She said in an old video that her house cost about 150k and it's still worth only 150k.
    Cheaper than her Cornwall home, which she said would be about 1 million.
    The problem I have is the lack of appreciation in value of their home. I question why it hasn't increased in value like everywhere else in the world.

2.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Jane's gotten a bit touchy these days. She was canning/bottling something and a lady asked her a question if her jars were submerged or up to the neck and how long for water bath because she was going to copy what Jane did and Jane flipped on her and blocked her from the Facebook page, but not before she got a screen shot of the rude comment. I felt bad for the lady so I offered to help. Jane might want to remember that the people who watch her videos could be treated a bit better...especially over simple questions.

3.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    She shuts down comments on her FB page so often it'll make your head spin. She really shouldn't be on social media. She can't handle it.

4.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Nerak, spot on. I stopped watching after what she did to that lady.. The lady who had the question was not in the US, and things were a bit different but I helped her through her bottling/canning. Every once in a while she'll send me a photo of her latest project. It's good to see her stocking up for winter. Helping someone and lifting them up is satisfying.

5.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Well every property market is different...
    I'm pretty sure it must be wrong, the house would be worth significantly more than 150k now.
    She took it from being derelict to having double glazing, mega insulation and alsorts.

Also being in such a remote location means they are totally dependant on having to have a car.
    The other crucial thing is in their old age how far are they from a hospital?
    And say things develop a certain way and they gotta move somewhere more central...

But there are other bits and pieces at play here.
    They got themselves a ride on lawnmower and that in itself isn't cheap...
    Oh yup and of course I think I said this already but she reckons that food there costs double what it costs in England.
    So I reckon them living in France has more to do with lifestyle I guess.

6.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    "Only people in the UK eat mincemeat." Sure, Jane. So glad her US audience straightened her out on that. Don't make assumptions you know nothing about, Jane. You know what happens when you assume...

7.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Nerak @ 9/3/2023, 02:41 AM) 
    "Only people in the UK eat mincemeat." Sure, Jane. So glad her US audience straightened her out on that. Don't make assumptions you know nothing about, Jane. You know what happens when you assume...

She seriously said that?

8.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Jazz Kitty @ 9/2/2023, 08:32 PM) 
    QUOTE (Nerak @ 9/3/2023, 02:41 AM) 

She seriously said that?

Yes, in the buy food now for Christmas video.

9.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    I would need to go back and fact check this cause I was only half listening to Frugal Queens new video, which is about buying stuff for Christmas now to keep costs down from what I gather...

As far as frozen stuff goes, my no1 rule is I don't freeze anything for more than 3 months absolute max. And if I do a batch cook thing usually the plan is to use it in about 5 weeks. So I definitely would not have stuff taking up space in the freezer for that length of time.
    Also I do not have an air removing suction machine thing, which is what you really want if you want to freeze stuff long term.

An exception to this might be if I came across something that was like a super duper unbelievable price, but for the most part I kinda know what the prices are and that a certain thing drops to a certain price point at some point...

But anyway my verdict regarding Frugal Queen saying that only British people eating mince is manslaughter rather than murder.
    The reason i'm taking this down a notch is because what I believe she was discussing (I know I should rewind the video and verify this cause my memory is not something I really should be relying on)
    was not ground beef/ mince but rather she was discussing Fruit Mince that are in these Christmas pies that are to be fair sort of British thing..
    Although my local bakery and a lot of bakeries would put on a special production of them just for Christmas.

Long story short she was talking about Fruit Mince for Fruit Mince pies, which are a Christmas food.... which I don't believe to be a common thing in the US. I believe she was not talking about ground beef/ mince or hamburger meat but fruit mince.

So unless fruit mince Christmas pies are a bigger thing than I thought they where in the US I reckon I gotta say not guilty.
    I don't think unless its very non perishable stuff with a very good shelf life would I be stocking up on Christmas stuff 4 months before Christmas.

I am contemplating getting Christmas lights this year though - but that's a different ball game.

10.     +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Please remember that the US is huge. People immigrated from many European countries and settled all over the US. Depending on where you live, you may be exposed to several cultures despite having your own personal heritage.
    If you are from an Irish or British neighborhood, you probably know mince meat.
    My grandfather's family is from Liverpool, so I definitely know what mince meat is. It's sold in most ethnic sections of supermarkets, even in the South.
    I grew up in Northern NJ, which is close to Ellis Island. My town was heavily influenced by Italian and Jewish cultures. I can speak some Italian and Kosher food is my favorite. I'm neither Jewish or Italian.
    I like Jane's videos, for the most part, but she's a little ignorant about other countries like the US.I think if she had asked her audience if we know what mince meat is instead of assuming we don't, she would have sounded more knowledgeable and humble.

And, as an American, I definitely knew she was talking about fruit mince. =)

11.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I live on the west coast of the US and mincemeat is definitely fruit mince. Yes, there's mincemeat pie with meat in it, but I've never heard of a single person who eats that. It's just fruit. Have I eaten it? Many times. Do I like it? No, there's usually too much clove in it for my taste. Have I seen it at many Thanksgivings and Christmases? You betcha. My family is Scandanavian/French/German (but US for at least 150 years on all sides but my paternal grandmother's).

This is what I don't like about her. Her sweeping assumptions that the world is exactly the way she thinks it is. But I have very little tolerance with that from anyone.

12.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    It's about time she got a taste of her own medicine. She's gotten to the point where she lectures viewers and tells them You Tube is their job.... maybe treat viewers a little better instead of chastising them. After the way she treated that lady on Facebook about the canning question, she deserves to get a bit of chastising in return.
    Canadians eat Mince pies too...

13.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Awwwwwwwwwwww nawwww....
    Frugal Queen says she is not creating an ecological disaster by having trees chopped down for firewood... And I believe she's mentioned something about her emissions at some point.

That wood she has got looks like its nicely split already that'll save her quite a bit of work.
    She got the machine to do it, but the wood I got the year before last was a bit too big and had to split it with an axe
    Much much easier just to get wood that is already split to size

I don't know if anyone has seen the plumes of smoke coming out of Frugal Queens chimney. That would not be tolerated here, your wood burner has to be an ultra low emission.

Yes - when I got my wood burner put in I ended up turning my regular shed into a wood shed. This meant that all the things that where previously stored in the shed now had to be stored in the garage.. So wood burner being the cheapest way to heat the place does come with some significant downsides. I was able to put in attic storage to compensate, but I still can only fit one car in the garage what with the stuff that's gotta be in there.

I really want to get a chainsaw. I can get one that works using the same battery as my lawnmower. It's just an investment that would take a long time to recoup itself. Plus the big issue is if you find someone with a tree that is suitable for firewood you gotta have the logs sit somewhere for a year to dry out before you can use it.

Just by the way regarding Frugal Q's outdoor blue seating table thing on her grass. If you put outdoor furniture directly on the grass the feet will rot, where the grass and the wood meet.
    In fact most of my outdoor furniture I got cheap because of rotten feet and I had to do a cheap DIY fixup.
    Also if I remember correctly Jane used chalk paint to paint this outdoor setting - because she had the chalk paint on hand.
    Personally I woulda splashed out and re stained it - rather than paint it.
    And I don't think chalk paint is particularly hard wearing paint..
    Saving money re doing furniture is a good idea, but there is a lot of effort involved - might as well use the best stuff.

I wonder what is the best thing to do with wood ashes. I got a huge bin full of ashes. Maybe it'd be a good idea to spread on the lawn.

Anyway those little dogs she's got look like they live a happy life...

14.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    Haven't watched the video yet (I have to take her in small doses) but any wood burning contributes to emissions! Where I live you can use woodburners installed before whatever date the law changed but anything new must be low emissions. My SIL is remodeling the old family home and there's a woodstove there that is super good at heating the whole house...but it was installed decades ago. The architect told her if she took it out to do renovations in that area she wouldn't be able to put it back in. So that part of the living room is staying as is.

Ash is a great fertilizer but I think it might need to be composted first? I'm not sure.

15.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Emissions... The riding mower, car and any other gas/petrol powered tool that she owns.. unless she's swapped out everything for electric or she's using brute force, it all puts out emissions... as everyone else's does..

404 replies since 27/7/2023, 18:57   22824 views