Frugal Queen in France

« Older   Newer »

1.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    I've just watched the Christmas video... 1. People all over the World start preparing for the Holidays early.... for some folks that's the one thing they look forward to.. not just in the UK...
    2. That Mincemeat comment was just asinine. I make my own and spin it out with stewed apples to reduce the cost (I'm a Canadian in the US)..
    3. She keeps preaching about buying chocolate, snacks and biscuits early.. I have to just say that I would never serve anyone who comes to my home anything that has been sitting around for months food wise... Gifts that are not food would be bought all year long but never food... Unless I am canning/bottling homemade Branston or any pickle or chutney that has to age. Then, they are made in September. I know exactly what's going in the bottles and there's no guessing.
    At the end she asked if anyone was canning or putting anything away... with her attitude on Facebook about canning, I would refer back to the earlier statement I made about what she did to the lady who just asked the question..

2.     +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    If nothing goes on sale, why buy the actual goods way before Christmas? Why not just save extra money throughout the year?
    Even if the goods do go on sale, I'd rather fresh!

3.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    All righty. Latest video.

She's talking about some self help book called "atomic habits"
    And she reckons she phrases things in her head by saying the things that she will do rather than the things that she won't
    The won't being buy takeways and stuff. And the batch cooking yadda yadda being the thing that she will do..

I dunno if she uses this positive mumbo jumbo postive spin yaddah yaddah when she is talking about other people in debt and stuff.
    And she's somehow trying to equate living a frugal lifestyle as being akin to some great achievement like some british cyclists who won some French bicycle race when bicycling was not much of a thing...

I dunno. I don't wanna bring anyone down but I say its important to keep it real. She said herself she's not into hare bone living - so she's not about setting frugality records or whatever.
    Or rather she's comparing chalk and cheese in some way that for me requires a lot of mental gymnastics to figure out what this thing gotta do with that thing.

The thing is maybe they coulda had a more prosperous retirement if they'd retired a little later - been able to travel around on cruse ships and stuff. See the world maybe.

Cycling was apparently not a big deal to people in England before this British cyclist won a french bicycle race is what I gather

4.     +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    They retired really young and also decided to isolate themselves from their former lives by moving to a different country.
    Working another 5 or so years may have been a wiser decision. They live such an austere life when they could be living more comfortably if they had put off retirement.
    I don't know, maybe they don't like their families? With aging parents (her mom is 85) and grown kids and possibly grandchildren, why would you decide to move to an entirely different country? Why would you miss out on spending time with them?
    Oh, and they have grown kids but just celebrated their 20th. The kids are definitely older than that. Was she married before?

5.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    She's already said she wasn't spending the money on a pressure canner and jars.. numerous times.. according to Jane it's motion... for others like me and canners all over the world it's an investment in a better pantry. To be able to preserve what you forage for, grow and buy and know that you're eating well with no guessing is not just motion.

Apparently they're into cycling.. People in the USA are too... my ortho surgeon used to race all over the world, God rest his soul. We used to house cyclists at the hotel I worked at for 20 years.. why is it that she thinks that her lot is the only lot that experiences anything, likes anything or knows anything? It seems a bit snobbish...

6.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    The shopping haul is just like every other shopping haul she does. Every country has brown eggs. Some have green, bluish, all the way to reddish brown eggs.. Other countries disclose the origin of where they're produced too. Not just France. It's basically the same things every time. I got tired of her repeating how expensive everything is. Right now it's expensive for everyone. Not just people in France.

7.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    It's funny because it occurs to me that the way I feel about Jane thinking that France is the center of the universe and everything only happens there is probably the way most people feel like people from the US think that we're the center of the universe. :D

8.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Nerak that's a good one.. :hearty-laugh:

To really compare pricing, I actually look up sales fliers like in Canada. Coleman's in Newfoundland had California broccoli at $8.99 per pound CAD not too long ago. In my area, I can get oranges for $4 to $5 dollars a bag, and in Newfoundland they are $1 a piece at times.

There are so many other people that are worse off than we are.. I can't handle her complaining how everything is sooooooo expensive... it's expensive everywhere...

9.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    She uses those finish powerball tablets in her dishwasher..
    I'm pretty sure she's said in the past how she didn't use the dishwasher in order to save electricity or water or something, and only uses it for batch cooking or whatever.
    I dunno, but I used those finish tablets and switched to a cheaper generic sort and they work fine.
    Some tablets don't have rinse aid in them so you gotta add rinse aid.
    I reckon I used more water before I got the dishwasher.

10.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    She says Gluten free bread is soooooo expensive, but a while ago, she said it was too complicated to make her own.. People gave her good recipes but she turned them all down in the comment section. Too much work..

My water bill and my power bill went down after I stopped using my dishwasher. I just don't constantly run the water..

11.     +2   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Today's video is just a repeat of what they do on a regular basis...

12.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    The highlight was when she said she put weeds in her compost pile.
    I'm pretty sure you don't wanna do that unless you want weeds to proliferate.

13.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    RE: The Toxic frugality video she did. She might want to remember her bitching about Toxic Frugality and ranting when she pounces on innocent people asking bottling questions that might not know as much as she does about bottling and are trying to figure things out. I'll never forget that. That was just asinine.

It's like she demands everyone behave the way she wants and there's no room for anything else. She sternly says You Tube is her job, but snottily admonishes people in the comment section and Facebook regularly.

14.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    ""Hi, I'm Jane, and if you're new you're really welcome!" but only if you do everything EXACTLY as I say and NEVER QUESTION ME.

15.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Jazz Kitty @ 9/11/2023, 11:46 AM) 
    RE: The Toxic frugality video she did. She might want to remember her bitching about Toxic Frugality and ranting when she pounces on innocent people asking bottling questions that might not know as much as she does about bottling and are trying to figure things out. I'll never forget that. That was just asinine.

It's like she demands everyone behave the way she wants and there's no room for anything else. She sternly says You Tube is her job, but snottily admonishes people in the comment section and Facebook regularly.

Ugh I went back to rewatch this one and I barely made it five minutes. She is so unpleasant. She would do well to use criticism as a starting point to create a meaningful dialogue among her viewers, but that might result in her having to admit that maybe she doesn't know everything about everything and her tender ego couldn't handle it.

I think this video was made when she first shut down all commenting on her Facebook page.

404 replies since 27/7/2023, 18:57   22816 views