« Older   Newer »

1. Marshmallow-magic
        +3   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    QUOTE (bitchybetty @ 11/3/2024, 22:46) 
    Hmm the caretaker argument is a good one I must say. I guess when you are wealthy it probably is better to have someone staying in your house rather than leaving it empty. My step grandparents did that with their lake home. The next-door neighbors were full timers, but they had a college aged son. He stayed at the lake house (it was a tiny house. 2 small bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and a sunroom which was used as the living room). He got his own space. He only paid utilities. He lived there for free, but was responsible for upkeep of the home and general maintenance.So like pulling weeds, mowing the small lot, snow removal, etc. Also if something like a roof leak happened he was there to report it asap and then he could be there to make sure the work was completed. Plus their homeowner's insurance was much cheaper if it was fully occupied rather than sat empty. Anyway, they just told him when they wanted to use the house and he packed a bag and walked next door for the weekend once or twice a month in the summer. Not a bad gig. If meg and Justin have arranged something similar that's kinda smart in their situation. I'd assume a house of that size would come with a small stipend as it's a large house with a lot of yard to upkeep and such.

My parents also did this mainly for the animals they could have a lower rental price but in return they looked after my parents cats and sent daily updates etc the cats were friendly.

1009 replies since 1/1/2024, 20:13   157697 views