« Older   Newer »

1. Flossy Rossy
        +7   Like  

User deleted

7bb5254a3622b8acb37daead025394fb

2. GossipHelper
        +2   Like  

User deleted

I like to read mystery/crime/thriller books. I am currently reading Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge.

3.     +1   Like  

Muffin Warfare Survivor
    Muffin Warfare Survivor

Group

Status
    I love YA. I'm almost 35 and it's my favorite genre. I regret nothing. :) That said, I'm in a book club that reads all sorts of books so I feel my horizons are expanded that way. :)

4. Piggly Wiggly

User deleted

Any book recommendations? I'd like something that sticks with me after I read it but not so intellectual that I have to trudge through it. What is everyone reading? I like mysteries and intrigue. Tales that keep me guessing.

I'm just finishing Sharp Objects by Gillisn Flynn. It's different than I thought it would be but pretty good so far.
    Would love some suggestions! :clicking-your-heels-smiley-emot

5.     +3   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Piggly Wiggly @ 17/8/2016, 05:29) 
    Any book recommendations? I'd like something that sticks with me after I read it but not so intellectual that I have to trudge through it. What is everyone reading? I like mysteries and intrigue. Tales that keep me guessing.

I'm just finishing Sharp Objects by Gillisn Flynn. It's different than I thought it would be but pretty good so far.
    Would love some suggestions! :clicking-your-heels-smiley-emot

Here are some suggestions. :) Everyone has different tastes so recommending books can be difficult. I read a lot of research for my job so in my off time I read pretty light fare most of the time. I also enjoy a really good suspense/thriller.

My favorite "light" authors include:
    Jane Green, Emily Giffin, Jennifer Weiner, Liane Moriarty, Sarah Pekkanen & Jodi Picoult.

My favorite authors from the suspense, psychological thriller and/or mystery genre include: Gillian Flynn, Chevy Stevens & Heather Gudenkauf.
    A lot of authors have several excellent titles, so for those authors I listed my preferred choices.

*I put an * next to titles that are from a mystery/thriller or suspense genre.

I just started two new ones;
    Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty
    And
    The Perfect Neighbors by Sarah Pekkanen

These are the books I've read most recently.
    First Comes Love by Emily Giffin

*The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
    (psych thriller)

All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner

*The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
    (mystery)

*The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
    (mystery/suspense)

Some books that are a few years older but really good:

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

By Jodi Picoult:
    House Rules:A Novel
    (mystery-light)
    Sing You Home
    Plain Truth

By Liane Moriarty:
    Big Little Lies
    The Husband's Secret

By Gillian Flynn:
    *Gone Girl (psych thriller)
    *Dark Places (psych thriller)

By Heather Gudenkauf:
    *One Breath Away (suspense)
    *The Weight of Silence (suspense)
    *These Things Hidden(suspense)

Some older favorites by Jane Green:
    To Have and to Hold
    Swapping Lives
    Family Pictures
    Another Piece of my Heart

By Emily Giffin:
    Something Borrowed
    Something Blue
    Heart of the Matter

By Sarah Pekkanen:
    Skipping a Beat
    Catching Air

By Chevy Stevens:
    *Still Missing (mystery/thriller)
    *Never Knowing (mystery/thriller)
    *Always Watching (mystery/thriller)

*Touch and Go by Lisa Gardner
    (mystery)

*Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue
    (suspense, tear jerker)

Emily & Einstein by Linda Francis Lee

*The Silent Wife by A.H.A. Harrison
    (suspense)

Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray

*Before I go to Sleep by S.J. Watson
    (suspense/psych thriller)

By Diane Chamberlain:
    *The Silent Sister
    (mystery)

Lastly, there's a series of Science fiction novellas that take place on post-apocalyptic Earth. First, let me say I never read sci-fi but it was recommended by a good friend so I eventually read them. It wasn't my usual style but was surprisingly good. Written by Hugh Howey
    Book 1) Wool
    Book 2) Shift
    Book 3) Dust

Feel free to ask me specific questions if you have any. :)

ETA: Piggly Wiggly, if you haven't read it yet a good one to read first is The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins. It's a psychological thriller & is very good.

Edited by Amused 101 - 8/17/2016, 12:12 PM

6.     +1   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Amused 101 @ 17/8/2016, 11:51) 
    Here are some suggestions. :) Everyone has different tastes so recommending books can be difficult. I read a lot of research for my job so in my off time I read pretty light fare most of the time. I also enjoy a really good suspense/thriller.

My favorite "light" authors include:
    Jane Green, Emily Giffin, Jennifer Weiner, Liane Moriarty, Sarah Pekkanen & Jodi Picoult.

My favorite authors from the suspense, psychological thriller and/or mystery genre include: Gillian Flynn, Chevy Stevens & Heather Gudenkauf.
    A lot of authors have several excellent titles, so for those authors I listed the best options, imo.

*I put an * next to titles that are from a mystery/thriller or suspense genre.

I just started two new ones;
    Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty
    And
    The Perfect Neighbors by Sarah Pekkanen

These are the books I've read most recently.
    First Comes Love by Emily Giffin

*The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins
    (psych thriller)

All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner

*The Life We Bury by Allen Eskens
    (mystery)

*The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
    (mystery/suspense)

Some books that are a few years older but really good:

Me Before You by Jojo Moyes

By Jodi Picoult:
    House Rules:A Novel
    (mystery-light)
    Sing You Home
    Plain Truth

By Liane Moriarty:
    Big Little Lies
    The Husband's Secret

By Gillian Flynn:
    *Gone Girl (psych thriller)
    *Dark Places (psych thriller)

By Heather Gudenkauf:
    *One Breath Away (suspense)
    *The Weight of Silence (suspense)
    *These Things Hidden(suspense)

Some older favorites by Jane Green:
    To Have and to Hold
    Swapping Lives
    Family Pictures
    Another Piece of my Heart

By Emily Giffin:
    Something Borrowed
    Something Blue
    Heart of the Matter

By Sarah Pekkanen:
    Skipping a Beat
    Catching Air

By Chevy Stevens:
    *Still Missing (mystery/thriller)
    *Never Knowing (mystery/thriller)
    *Always Watching (mystery/thriller)

*Touch and Go by Lisa Gardner
    (mystery)

*Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue
    (suspense, tear jerker)

Emily & Einstein by Linda Francis Lee

*The Silent Wife by A.H.A. Harrison
    (suspense)

Eat Cake by Jeanne Ray

*Before I go to Sleep by S.J. Watson
    (suspense/psych thriller)

By Diane Chamberlain:
    *The Silent Sister
    (mystery)

Lastly, there's a series of Science fiction novellas that take place on post-apocalyptic Earth. First, let me say I never read sci-fi but it was recommended by a good friend so I eventually read them. It wasn't my usual style but was surprisingly good. Written by Hugh Howey
    Book 1) Wool
    Book 2) Shift
    Book 3) Dust

Feel free to ask me specific questions if you have any. :)

OMG I think you and I may share similar taste in books. I really enjoy Emily Giffin too...have you read Baby Proof?

Also, have you tried Marian Keyes? I adore her books!

7.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    FiercelyPrivate, Yes to Baby Proof. I liked it but not as much as her others. I love Emily Giffin, Jane Green & Jennifer Weiner. They all "feel" similar to me.

I've seen Marion Keyes but haven't read any yet. Which one do you recommend to start?

Edited by Amused 101 - 8/17/2016, 02:09 PM

8. Piggly Wiggly

User deleted

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some suggestions! Seriously, that was super nice and I really appreciate it amused101/Blair 😄

I've read Gone Girl and Girl on the Train and just finished Sharp Objects last night by Gillian Flynn so I'll definitely check out Dark Things next. I will check out the other authors on your list. Sounds like you've found a good selection to start with. Again, thanks for culling those out. I read mostly academic journals so this is so nice. I almost forgot how much I enjoyed reading.

I keep getting suggestions from Amazon "you may also like" selections. One they mentioned is All the Light We Cannot See and the Nightingale. Have you (or anyone here) heard of these?

I also like Victorian murder mysteries. Anne Perry is one of my favorites with the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mysteries.

After I finished Sharp Objects I saw online that HBO is filming a series based on the story with Amy Adams whom I love! I love psychological thrillers though they can leave me exhausted!

Thanks again for the tips. I'm going to see if I can print that post out for reference. :thumbs-up:

9.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Piggly Wiggly @ 17/8/2016, 18:45) 
    Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some suggestions! Seriously, that was super nice and I really appreciate it amused101/Blair 😄

I've read Gone Girl and Girl on the Train and just finished Sharp Objects last night by Gillian Flynn so I'll definitely check out Dark Things next. I will check out the other authors on your list. Sounds like you've found a good selection to start with. Again, thanks for culling those out. I read mostly academic journals so this is so nice. I almost forgot how much I enjoyed reading.

I keep getting suggestions from Amazon "you may also like" selections. One they mentioned is All the Light We Cannot See the Nightingale. Have you (or anyone here) heard of these?

I also like Victorian murder mysteries. Anne Perry is one of my favorites with the Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mysteries.

After I finished Sharp Objects I saw online that HBO is filming a series based on the story with Amy Adams whom I love! I love psychological thrillers though they can leave me exhausted!

Thanks again for the tips. I'm going to see if I can print that post out for reference. :thumbs-up:

Hi, you're very welcome. I love reading. The Chevy Stevens books I listed are psych thrillers, definitely check those out. I love to read them but then want to finish quickly because I get nervous ( & I know the ending!)

The Nightingale has been on my "to buy" list for awhile. I forgot to mention Kristin Hannah until you brought up her new book but she's a good author. I've read lots of her books. My top four are:
    1. Night Road
    2. Firefly Lane
    3. Fly Away (sequel to Firefly Lane)
    4. Winter Garden

Happy reading. Be sure & fill me in if you run across something you think I might like! :)

10. Piggly Wiggly
        +1   Like  

User deleted

Absolutely! It's been great chatting with you :)

11. Edie
        +2   Like  

User deleted

I read mostly horror, suspense, thrillers, and some popular books from time to time.

Alice and Red Queen by Christina Henry

Lost Among the Living by Simone St. James

^ I read all of her novels.

The Girl on the Train

The Girls

You and Hidden Bodies by Caroline Kepnes

The Girl with All the Gifts and Fellside by M.R. Carey

12.     Like  

Gluten Free Banana Bread
    Gluten Free Banana Bread

Group
    Planning Karen Orchid’s 60th Birthday Party at The Lake Club!

Status
    Anonymous
    I'm finally reading A Stolen Life by Jaycee Dugard. Incredible story. It breaks my heart.

13. Flossy Rossy

User deleted

I'm reading These Granite Islands by Sarah Stonich

14.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Hello ladies, I've never seen much action on this thread, But as I mentioned on the Scientology thread, I've ordered Leah Remini's book Troublemaker and Jenna Miscavage's his book. I go to the grocery store and see the reselling Troublemaker for $3.99! Oh well, I think I paid nine or ten dollars on Amazon.

Anyway there was so many books on Scientology. Could anyone recommend some of the others? I actually never read Dianetics and the book titled Scientology. I think I can get a better insight of what's if I read those. Any thoughts?

15.     +2   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group
    Administrator

Status
    Anonymous
    Have any of you read The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson? I could see a movie being made of it one day. I couldn't put it down!

Synopsis with no spoilers:

On a night flight from London to Boston, Ted Severson meets the stunning and mysterious Lily Kintner. Sharing one too many martinis, the strangers begin to play a game of truth, revealing very intimate details about themselves. Ted talks about his marriage that’s going stale and his wife, Miranda, who he’s sure is cheating on him. Ted and his wife were a mismatch from the start—he the rich businessman, she the artistic free spirit—a contrast that once inflamed their passion, but has now become a cliché.

But their game turns a little darker when Ted jokes that he could kill Miranda for what she’s done. Lily, without missing a beat, says calmly, “I’d like to help.” After all, some people are the kind worth killing, like a lying, stinking, cheating spouse. . . .

Back in Boston, Ted and Lily’s twisted bond grows stronger as they begin to plot Miranda's demise. But there are a few things about Lily’s past that she hasn’t shared with Ted, namely her experience in the art and craft of murder, a journey that began in her very precocious youth.

Suddenly these co-conspirators are embroiled in a chilling game of cat-and-mouse, one they both cannot survive . . . with a shrewd and very determined detective on their tail.

1015 replies since 29/7/2016, 17:24   24665 views