Book Chat

« Older   Newer »

1.     +2   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group

Status
    My favorite Agatha Christie books are And Then There Where None or 10 Little Indians.

I'm listening to The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. I can't remember if somebody here recommended it but it sucked me right in.

2.     +2   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Oh I've heard of that, it seems very popular so I'm glad it's living up to the hype!

I think I read so many thrillers for a while there I got sick of them, I feel like them again now. I've got several already from sales. I'm thinking I might try this one by Lisa Jewell called "then she was gone" has anyone read that?

3. Tak_1883
        +2   Like  

User deleted

I read Then She Was Gone years ago. I would recommend it, even though it broke my heart a little as a mom.

4.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I had a bit of a look at her works and she's been published for 25 years. Hadn't heard of her older stuff before. I wonder if she was popular in UK first before being more international.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know what you mean. I've read a few kidnapping plots and they hit harder. They make me feel sick.

Another book I've been hearing about is Finley Donovan. I looked it up and it's part of a series. It sounds like something you might like Mysterygal.

5.     +1   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    I love Lisa Jewell, at least the books I've read. I find her books an easy entertaining read, even if they are harder subjects.

6.     +2   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Mysterygal @ 12/3/2024, 03:34) 
    My favorite Agatha Christie books are And Then There Where None or 10 Little Indians.

I'm listening to The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides. I can't remember if somebody here recommended it but it sucked me right in.

I read And Then There Were None my sophomore year of high school for English class and it remains one of my favorites. I credit it with starting my love of mystery books.

QUOTE (C3P0 @ 12/3/2024, 10:51) 
    I had a bit of a look at her works and she's been published for 25 years. Hadn't heard of her older stuff before. I wonder if she was popular in UK first before being more international.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I know what you mean. I've read a few kidnapping plots and they hit harder. They make me feel sick.

Another book I've been hearing about is Finley Donovan. I looked it up and it's part of a series. It sounds like something you might like Mysterygal.

The first two Finlay Donovan books were really fun. Definitely a modern take on a cozy mystery/thriller. The third one was just ok bordering on not great IMO. I haven’t read book 4 yet

7.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Thanks again everyone. I love all the thoughts on here. I think I'll try out Finlay soon.

Anyone heard of this? It's our daily deal here today. I converted it to USD and it works out to $3.30USD. I'll get it and try it. It sounds like it might be a good quick listen in between some heavier reads. I don't mind books like that on occasion, especially if I'm tired and don't need to think too hard.
    Attached Image
    Screenshot_20240313-084122

8.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Here's the plot
    Attached Image
    Screenshot_20240313-084132

9.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Love Me Do is on Spotify... Just throwing this out there, Spotify has audiobooks. It's ten bucks a month and you get unlimited music and audiobooks. It's a really good deal. 🔥

10.     +3   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I love Libby and Hoopla. There is just a wealth of books available through my library. Plus, my Libby has magazines. And my Hoopla also has music, movies, and TV. I am so grateful to have so much available. I'm going to listen to the new Green Day album on Hoopla :lol: :thumbs-up:

Writers make money when we borrow library books/ebooks/audiobooks.

11.     +5   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Breakdown @ 13/3/2024, 00:18) 
    I love Libby and Hoopla. There is just a wealth of books available through my library. Plus, my Libby has magazines. And my Hoopla also has music, movies, and TV. I am so grateful to have so much available. I'm going to listen to the new Green Day album on Hoopla :lol: :thumbs-up:

Writers make money when we borrow library books/ebooks/audiobooks.

Plus your local libraries funding depends on patron usage. The more people that actively use the library the more funding they get for new materials and programs. This includes using Libby/hoopla.

12.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    That's good to know! I'm learning so much here. How do the authors get paid? I did read once that people liking the book means they're more likely to buy the authors next book, plus word of mouth telling others about the book. Sounds like I definitely need to take another look.

Spotify here gives 15 hours of audiobooks per month from a limited catalogue. When I've looked at it before it had a few popular ones front and centre and then it seemed to be things I hadn't heard of, which can be good too but as it's limited to 15 hours only I'd have to be careful what to select. I really struggle to DNF books.

13.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Oops sorry for the misinformation on Spotify! Didn't realize it's a fifteen hour limit dang it.
    :blushing-smiley-emoticon:

14.     +4   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    At the beginning Spotify didn’t limit audiobook listening. Then they hooked us all and put a limit!!

15.     +1   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I would love to know how the writers get paid, how the licensing works and all of that with libraries -- I think it could be interesting to learn. But that's a rabbit hole I don't have time to go down :lol:

1015 replies since 29/7/2016, 17:24   24665 views