« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group
    Making myself feel better by spewing negativity

Status
    Anonymous
    I've never seen them use a non-official cover for such a high-profile book. But Red Tower Books is reposting all of their local BN posts, so unless a publicist is telling them off behind the scenes, this must be sanctioned. Maybe they're doing a special edition with BN, but I still find this strange. Books-A-Million's announcement is more in line with what I'd expect from them.

2.     +1   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (C3P0 @ 28/3/2024, 22:45) 
    adivinadivina I saw this and thought of you. Seems like it is a bit rushed like the 2nd one was.

Lol well i bought my pre order because either way im reading it. Im probably buying into the hype. As for rushed not sure we would have to see.

Im reading two new books, has anyone read tides of the sovereign by kate gateley.

QUOTE (BerthaGene @ 29/3/2024, 00:46) 
    I've never seen them use a non-official cover for such a high-profile book. But Red Tower Books is reposting all of their local BN posts, so unless a publicist is telling them off behind the scenes, this must be sanctioned. Maybe they're doing a special edition with BN, but I still find this strange. Books-A-Million's announcement is more in line with what I'd expect from them.

Unfortunately barnes and nobles is sold out is what i saw

3.     +1   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Finished "The Dutch House" by Ann Patchett - excellent but I'm a big fan of hers.

Also finished "An Anonymous Girl" by Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanen - fun and easy read.

Next read "Jacqueline in Paris" by Ann Mah.

4.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Itworksformyfamily @ 28/3/2024, 22:51) 
    QUOTE (C3P0 @ 28/3/2024, 22:45) 
    adivinadivina I saw this and thought of you. Seems like it is a bit rushed like the 2nd one was.

Not nearly as rushed. Fourth wing was released 5/2/23 with iron flame released 11/7/23 only 189 days apart. Book 3 is being released 1/21/25 441 days after iron flame more than double the turnover time. I’m hoping that makes a major improvement. Iron flame really could have used another few months of edits and rewrites

Ohh thanks for that. Hopefully it's a lot better then. I don't read much fantasy but I did see a few discussions saying a lot of the plots in the book seemed taken from elsewhere. I think it felt fresh to me, because I haven't read all the tropes that come with fantasy. It definitely made me think, though... I wish I'd taken notice of the books mentioned to see what they thought was unoriginal

QUOTE (Trash Plate @ 29/3/2024, 00:37) 
    Wow didn't realize that was BN. They do this often, posting unauthorized images?

I dunno. We don't have them here, I just stumbled across the post.

We have other chains here, I dunno why no b&n. Don't they have coffee shops inside? I would love to check one out if I ever went to the USA

5.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Anyone got any good history recommendations? I was looking at some Ancient Egypt books earlier and I felt so overwhelmed.

I used to like history class at school, we did not get to cover much in class, though. In year 7 and 8 (high school starts in year 7 here, no middle school) we alternated between geography and history. We did a little bit on China, Greece and Egypt. Then in year 9 and 10 we did Australian history, a small amount covering before 1900 and then 1900 to modern day, so we did the wars, the depression etc but through an Australian lens.

I would just like to expand my knowledge a bit more. I thought I'd look at Egypt since I remember really enjoying those lessons.

But I ended up going down a rabbit hole and there was so many categories. Antarctic history, I never would have even considered reading about that. It's mostly broken down into countries but there was all these sub categories as well. Military history. Just.. wow. Now I am really wanting to read so many categories lol. But I think I'll start with Ancient Egypt if anyone has any recommendations. I actually have an online friend from Egypt, though he is a doctor and kind of busy and I don't know if this is the sort of thing I could ask, we only play video games together sometimes.

Anyway, I'm rambling like usual, you can probably tell I don't get out much 😆.

6.     +1   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (C3P0 @ 4/4/2024, 02:01) 
    Anyone got any good history recommendations? I was looking at some Ancient Egypt books earlier and I felt so overwhelmed.

I used to like history class at school, we did not get to cover much in class, though. In year 7 and 8 (high school starts in year 7 here, no middle school) we alternated between geography and history. We did a little bit on China, Greece and Egypt. Then in year 9 and 10 we did Australian history, a small amount covering before 1900 and then 1900 to modern day, so we did the wars, the depression etc but through an Australian lens.

I would just like to expand my knowledge a bit more. I thought I'd look at Egypt since I remember really enjoying those lessons.

But I ended up going down a rabbit hole and there was so many categories. Antarctic history, I never would have even considered reading about that. It's mostly broken down into countries but there was all these sub categories as well. Military history. Just.. wow. Now I am really wanting to read so many categories lol. But I think I'll start with Ancient Egypt if anyone has any recommendations. I actually have an online friend from Egypt, though he is a doctor and kind of busy and I don't know if this is the sort of thing I could ask, we only play video games together sometimes.

Anyway, I'm rambling like usual, you can probably tell I don't get out much 😆.

Uhhh I love history especially Nordic or Celtic. I went to college to study history, if I had continued it would have been Nordic or Celtic civilization and their interaction with religious society. That being paganism or the introduction of Christianity. Something to look into. I mainly look into European history not sure why but it fascinates me. Another one would be Arab history highly recommend it. Probably I would go the route of cultural versus religion or the change in culture due to religion. There is a theme when I look at history and it’s more of a sociological perspective. Interactions with religion and culture. Indian history is very interesting.

My cut of time for any history is 1400 so anything above that I find boring 😆

Unless its for architectural history or art history other then that i don’t look into history beyond the years 1399.

7.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Finished "Jacqueline in Paris" by Ann Mah - I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this. An easy read.

Next book is "The Maid" by Nita Prose.

8.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    The Maid was so good! I heard the writer came out with something else recently that I’m on a million person waitlist for.

9.     +1   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (VeganLeather @ 4/6/2024, 02:48 AM) 
    The Maid was so good! I heard the writer came out with something else recently that I’m on a million person waitlist for.

Just finished it - super fun read, loved it. Her new book is "The Mystery Guest" with the same character and I definitely want to read it. So fun. I'm hooked.

My next read is "Peach Blossom Spring" by Melissa Fu.

10.     +2   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group

Status
    I finished silent patient last week. It was okay. It kept me interested and there was a twist at the end but the twist was really predictable.

11.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Mysterygal @ 4/6/2024, 06:27 PM) 
    I finished silent patient last week. It was okay. It kept me interested and there was a twist at the end but the twist was really predictable.

Don't waste your time (not just you, anyone) on his other books! The Maidens I completed out of spite, and The Fury I would have thrown across the room if I wasn't reading the ebook :lol:

12.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Mysterygal @ 7/4/2024, 00:27) 

This one came across as a bit overhyped to me (on social). If it's only okay, nothing spectacular I probably won't bother.

I meant to post here a while ago about Stephen King being in the news for Carrie's 50th anniversary. I thought that was so cool. I never buy hard covers but I did this time and it looks so awesome. When I die I hope it goes to a Stephen King fan.

13.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I finished listening to The Mystery Guest (the follow up to The Maid) and it was sooooo good! I'm reading On Writing which is Stephan King's memoir specifically about writing. I'm a high school English teacher and I have tons of passages that I want to share with students about his journey as a writer. I'm about 1/3 done and I would recommend for sure

14.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Anyone reading lately?

I want to read On Writing! By all accounts people say it's amazing. I hope the students enjoy the parts you want to show them.

I am reading Billy Summers, finally. This is one I've had my eye on for a while.

I want to ask you guys a question. I've seen a few reviews on some books where people say they can't read it because the main character is unlikeable. Do you guys avoid books like this? I find the writing is what I'm interested in. Likeable characters or not. Sometimes I think, wow they are a jerk/selfish etc but I can still enjoy a story with a character like that. I just wouldn't like them as a person in real life. 😂

15.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Finished “Peach Blossom Spring” by Melissa Fu. Recommend.

Just started and almost finished with”Crying in H Mart” by Michelle Zauner - very bittersweet.

1016 replies since 29/7/2016, 17:24   24714 views