Book Chat

« Older   Newer »

1.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I ONLY heard about it after the 15 hour limit thing. So maybe it's different here. Or maybe I hadn't heard of it before recently. It definitely seemed like it was being pushed as a new exciting feature.

Anyone reading today (or tonight, time zones!)?

I have another question, I hope it doesn't sound stupid. Ok, so, a lot of the time those challenges people do each year for books have those prompts. They will say read a book with this word in the title, or read a book about this theme. Anyway, I've seen prompts about the actual authors as well. Such as reading a book by a Canadian author or by a trans author. Now my question is how does the average person know that? Do people just google it to find out? I know you can get info off book jackets but most of my books are digital and the "about the author" usually comes last. I have been thinking it would be nice to diversify a little. But I don't know where to begin.

Do you guys make it a point to read authors from other countries?

2.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Totally serious here: I think following your curiosity is a good way to begin.

I need to pick up a book tonight. I get a little twitchy when it's been a few days :lol:

Also I think I'd need to google to help me out with some prompts. Plus, there's room for debate: like can you count (American) John Irving as a Canadian author now that he's had Canadian citizenship for a few years? I mean, you're just reading for yourself... :dunno:

3.     +1   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    The challenge I'm doing right now leaves it to your discretion whether a book meets the "rules" or not. I prefer it this way because I think a more rigid challenge would discourage me from reading. The prompts for this challenge are fairly open-ended too, which makes it easy to find books that meet the criteria.

This is the challenge I'm doing if anyone is curious.

www.the52book.club/2024-reading-challenge/

4.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Breakdown @ 13/3/2024, 23:59) 
    Totally serious here: I think following your curiosity is a good way to begin.

I need to pick up a book tonight. I get a little twitchy when it's been a few days :lol:

Also I think I'd need to google to help me out with some prompts. Plus, there's room for debate: like can you count (American) John Irving as a Canadian author now that he's had Canadian citizenship for a few years? I mean, you're just reading for yourself... :dunno:

Yeah, I actually do just read what I feel like. I don't do those challenges because I am worried I'll feel forced to read something I'm not into.

But it is a personal thing, I guess I've just noticed it. I've read a lot of Australian authors, and a lot of American because there's such a big population there. But I started thinking about how I don't always know where an author is from. I guess it also depends what sort of book it is, if it's a fiction they are often set in their own country. Like Marian Keyes sets her books in Ireland (the few I've read at least)

I also feel like I am reading mostly female authors. Do you think it's not that big of a deal as long as I'm having fun?

Hmm, I'm just not sure. I'm probably overthinking everything. Though I've also thought maybe it's the algorithm. I read a book I enjoyed last year and started another of that author's books, there was a romance between 2 women but then the algorithm was trying to get me to only read that genre. So yeah, maybe it's why I end up reading a lot of Australian, women authors because that's what comes up for me? Idk.

I also wondered that about the countries, I think it would depend how they identify themselves. Some people don't even remember their birth country. I think some want to identify with 2 countries as their home. Also, and this is just my opinion, but sometimes it seems like people want to "claim" that person if they are good at sports, or have musical talents they'll try and claim they are from whichever town or country even if they have roots elsewhere.

Sorry I'm bloody rambling again, haha.

Thanks for that, I am glad to have someone else's opinion on it all.

5.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I’m doing the PopSugar reading challenge again this year…maybe I’ll finish it this year 😵‍💫😅👌🏾 I try to read at least 50 books a year. Last year I got to 55

ETA I’m a high school English teacher so I read a lot of YA

6.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I really like YA! There's a good reddit for it. But it's very obvious that most people on there are huge fantasy fans. I don't read much fantasy, I enjoy it sometimes though.

I hope you haven't been impacted too much by book bans in your school, VL.

7.     Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I meant to say this already regarding Spotify and them limiting that feature, Audible have done something similar.

They have a book "monthly extra" (I'm not sure what it's like in other regions) and it used to be you add it to your library and it's free forever. Now they only give you a month to read it, which is annoying. Bleh. After that it will probably have a padlock next to it unless it's purchased.

Have any of you read Icebreaker? I got it on a sale after someone recommended it to me. I finally started it and it is extremely sex-filled. I do like reading books with sporty characters, but I was not expecting it to have so many sex scenes.

8.     +1   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group

Status
    I'm not a fan of sex scenes in books or movies. They just seem unnecessary to me. Especially if they have teenagers in them. Eww.

9.     +2   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I hated Icebreaker. The characters were ridiculous. FMC was so annoying and the MMC gave me the ick with the way he talked to her. :sick:

I read the first few chapters and skimmed the rest. Nothing interesting happened.

10.     +2   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (C3P0 @ 15/3/2024, 03:37) 
    I meant to say this already regarding Spotify and them limiting that feature, Audible have done something similar.

They have a book "monthly extra" (I'm not sure what it's like in other regions) and it used to be you add it to your library and it's free forever. Now they only give you a month to read it, which is annoying. Bleh. After that it will probably have a padlock next to it unless it's purchased.

Have any of you read Icebreaker? I got it on a sale after someone recommended it to me. I finally started it and it is extremely sex-filled. I do like reading books with sporty characters, but I was not expecting it to have so many sex scenes.

I haven’t read ice breaker but I don’t love the direction spicy romance covers have taken over the last few years. They definitely create the covers to appeal to a younger audience which I have a problem with. I love some smutty books but I think the cover should clearly depict at a glance what you will be getting.

11.     Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Itworksformyfamily @ 3/15/2024, 09:43 AM) 
    QUOTE (C3P0 @ 15/3/2024, 03:37) 

I haven’t read ice breaker but I don’t love the direction spicy romance covers have taken over the last few years. They definitely create the covers to appeal to a younger audience which I have a problem with. I love some smutty books but I think the cover should clearly depict at a glance what you will be getting.

I agree with this completely. Smutty books should not have cartoon covers.

12.     +4   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    You guys said it. I can't with these romance books that have cartoon covers.

1. They look like they're marketed to eleven years olds, like they should be shelved next to The Babysitters Club.

2. They unsell the books. I'm not above romance books, but it especially makes me not want to read them.

Bring back Fabio. 😂

13.     Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Trash Plate @ 15/3/2024, 16:39) 
    Bring back Fabio. 😂

Fabio was a goldmine for publishing houses.

He sold more books by appearing ON a cover
    then did an author for writing within it.

14.     +1   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I volunteer at a thrift store and I'm constantly moving adult fiction out of the YA section. Just because there's a cartoon on the cover doesn't mean it's a YA book!

15.     +1   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Ugh yeah, seriously bring back Fabio/or a new Fabio and do away with the stupid cartoon covers!

1015 replies since 29/7/2016, 17:24   24665 views