« Older   Newer »

1.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (C3P0 @ 15/4/2024, 03:59) 
    Anyone reading lately?

I want to read On Writing! By all accounts people say it's amazing. I hope the students enjoy the parts you want to show them.

I am reading Billy Summers, finally. This is one I've had my eye on for a while.

I want to ask you guys a question. I've seen a few reviews on some books where people say they can't read it because the main character is unlikeable. Do you guys avoid books like this? I find the writing is what I'm interested in. Likeable characters or not. Sometimes I think, wow they are a jerk/selfish etc but I can still enjoy a story with a character like that. I just wouldn't like them as a person in real life. 😂

I definitely read books with unlikeable characters. Many times to me that’s what makes the book so good. Right now I’m listening to Ruth Rendall’s “A Sight for Sore Eyes”, none of the characters are at all likable and that’s pretty much the point of the story. I love her books.

2.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Anyone reading lately?

I want to read On Writing! By all accounts people say it's amazing. I hope the students enjoy the parts you want to show them.

I am reading Billy Summers, finally. This is one I've had my eye on for a while.

I want to ask you guys a question. I've seen a few reviews on some books where people say they can't read it because the main character is unlikeable. Do you guys avoid books like this? I find the writing is what I'm interested in. Likeable characters or not. Sometimes I think, wow they are a jerk/selfish etc but I can still enjoy a story with a character like that. I just wouldn't like them as a person in real life. 😂

I’ve read a few spicy books. Some good some absolutely terrible. I also listened to the fury which was absolutely awful. currently reading a weird British horror book and listening to bookshops and bonedust

3.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Chalky @ 15/4/2024, 04:22) 
    Anyone reading lately?

I definitely read books with unlikeable characters. Many times to me that’s what makes the book so good. Right now I’m listening to Ruth Rendall’s “A Sight for Sore Eyes”, none of the characters are at all likable and that’s pretty much the point of the story. I love her books.

Thank you! I agree that it can be the point! I find it so strange because people will be rooting for Walter White but then when it comes to books they will be saying a character is unlikeable. Some people seem to act as though there should never be any conflict or tension. Give me flawed, realistic characters. Give me bad people, give me a mix of everything that's true to life.

---

Crying in H Mart, I've got that one but haven't started yet. It looks so good!

---

Ok here's another question. Do any of you have books that you've wanted to read for a very long time, but never started? Also what's the reasoning?

I am facing this right now. I think maybe it's not that I don't want to read those books, it's just that others keep taking priority. I don't want to read them as much as other books. I think as well some I didn't realise were such a huge commitment. Like you buy the "complete set" and then the author adds more books, it gets harder to keep up. Idk.

4.     Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Anyone reading lately?

I feel the same however my line is when the main characters are so immature is cringy to read. I have read some amazing books where the female main character are let just say not the best and just think why is this guy with her. I also know i read to escape so if i don’t enjoy something i DNF right away.

Has anyone read the book by abby Jimenez just for the summer? I’m thinking of getting it. I have seen it everywhere.

5.     +2   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Yeah immaturity I don't mind if the characters are young but when they are grown adults I'm like what? I get enough of that from the youtubers we talk about on this forum. 😂😂

Nope, I've never read her. I have thought about trying her one day. If it's too "sexy" I'll probably pass.

Btw this came up as a recommended post. I know we are 4 and a half months into the year (wow), but this could still be do-able.
    Attached Image
    Screenshot_20240416-171012_Instagram

6.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Finished "Crying at HMart" - if you like books about food (and grief), then this is for you. I did enjoy it, even though it can be sad. It's a very easy read.

My next book is "Behind her Eyes" by Sarah Pinborough. I guess it's a thriller which I do love a good thriller.

I guess the only kind of books that I really do not like are Romance novels and Tudor Era and WWII era Historical Fiction. And can I be honest, I'm not into the "classics" lol...I want to escape when I read and the classics (mostly) just don't do this for me.

I think those challenges can be fun, I might do that when I finish all the books I own and start going to the library, it looks like it can really expand your reading.

7.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Finished "Behind Her Eyes" by Sarah Pinborough - easy read, creepy ending lol.

Just started "Malibu Rising" by Taylor Jenkins Reid. Seems like it will be an easy read.

8.     +1   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Finished "Malibu Rising" by Taylor Jenkins Reid - easy fluffy read.

Just started "The Family Upstairs" by Lisa Jewell - a thriller.

After that my next book is "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles - historical fiction and 576 pages - figured I'd pad my reading with fluff and thrills prior to digging into this one.

9.     Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Chalky @ 28/4/2024, 21:05) 

After that my next book is "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles - historical fiction and 576 pages - figured I'd pad my reading with fluff and thrills prior to digging into this one.

I loved the Lincoln Highway!!!!! It’s thick but the story is so so good. I’m about to finish The Paris Agent…it’s ok. I listened to Everyone Here is Lying. That one is sooooo good!

10.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Anyone have any May reading goals/ideas? My one thing is I can't borrow any more library books until I read & return the ones I already have. It gets too easy to just accumulate them.

This is a very small booktuber, but I just have to say I don't want to watch anyone applying their makeup.

11.     +2   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (VeganLeather @ 4/29/2024, 01:39 AM) 
    QUOTE (Chalky @ 28/4/2024, 21:05) 

I loved the Lincoln Highway!!!!! It’s thick but the story is so so good. I’m about to finish The Paris Agent…it’s ok. I listened to Everyone Here is Lying. That one is sooooo good!

Finished Lisa Jewell's "The Family Upstairs" and as you would expect a fun creepy read.

Just started "The Lincoln Highway" by Amor Towles and am about 135 pages in and I'm loving it so much so far. It's long but I know it will be worth it. Just loving the characters so far. And it sounds like it's going to be quite an adventure.

12.     Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    2 weeks until Memorial Day weekend & I put together a summer reading list :lol: basically it's a dozen books I own that I've been meaning to read for way too long. I mostly read on whim, but I'm actually looking forward to selecting from the list.

1016 replies since 29/7/2016, 17:24   24716 views