« Older   Newer »

1.     +4   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Meshell29 @ 29/9/2021, 19:50) 
    QUOTE (BouffantLiz @ 9/29/2021, 05:50 PM) 
    I think the pandemic is turning some people’s worldview upside down, and they can’t handle it psychologically. Their mental health is intertwined with their worldview. So they look for any conspiracy theory to keep their worldview intact. It’s also tribalism. Humans would face death rather than be ejected from the tribe.

They distrust government authority and science. They believe in individual control, and erroneously believe that will be found in the Republican Party and religion. Ironically, they don’t recognize that they are being controlled by both, and are not really free.

The pandemic is turning those beliefs upside down. We do need government authority at times, along with medical science. I think the tide will turn eventually, but a lot of people will die first unfortunately.

Disclaimer: I think the Democratic Party is far from perfect too, but at least they are following the medical science on the pandemic.

I have to diasgree because the science is not consistent. Starting with dont wear a mask to wearing 2 masks.Cloth masks were good now science says they are not protective. They don’t even know how long the vaccine’s protectio will last. My cousin’s 5 year old has to wear a mask in school but during recess outside it can hang from their wrist. A potential deadly germ filled mask hanging from kids’ wrists as they run around- where is the science?? Oh and NYC schools have a policy where the class will be closed only if an adult in the room tests positive, if another student does, it’s ok. Science please! So who exactly is being controlled?? Brain wash is strong here so stay safe and don’t forget to bleet. Baahhhh.

You got more wrong about the policy in NYC than you got right. But I don't have the inclination or patience to try to spell it out.

What I find hilarious is this particular poster and those of her ilk never has a reference to share or an actual suggested solution. It's exactly being contrary for contrary sake. At least libs try to deliver a solution rather than wringing their hands, pretend it's not happening or better yet that there's nothing to try because it's all going to fail.

2.     +11   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I really hate to burst anyone's bubble, but to think that medical practice is going to be all wrapped up in a neat and tidy bow before it is delivered to you with an ironclad promise of zero untoward effects is living in a world that does not exist. And to think that doctors are incompetent or are somehow lying because they ADAPT their practice and recommendations based on the best current research is just ridiculous.

Google Catherine the Great and the smallpox vaccine.

Check out this book on the history of medical innovation:

https://smile.amazon.com/You-Bet-Your-Life...32942008&sr=8-1

There have always been, and always will be risks inherent in medical treatment, and to deny this is hiding your head in the sand. Yes, it's scary to get a relatively new vaccine for a virus that is nonlethal to the vast majority of people. But that is how pandemics are stopped.

3.     +9   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    We all know that if the experts knew all there was to know about this virus from the start, our resident troll would be in this thread screaming, “OMG! HOW DID THEY KNOW ABOUT THIS VIRUS ALREADY? SEE. THIS WAS PLANNED. THE ARE TRYING TO KILL US!!!!”

4.     +11   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    At this point, I choose not to even bother trying to convince anti-vaxers. They will never be reasoned with. I would rather spend my time with people who may have concerns about the vaccine, but aren't at the anti-vax level. It's understandable to be nervous about taking a vaccine that you don't know a lot about. Having a discussion with people who may be nervous can be a productive thing. But anti-vaxers? Don't waste your time.

5.     +6   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (The Wookie @ 29/9/2021, 21:36) 
    At this point, I choose not to even bother trying to convince anti-vaxers. They will never be reasoned with. I would rather spend my time with people who may have concerns about the vaccine, but aren't at the anti-vax level. It's understandable to be nervous about taking a vaccine that you don't know a lot about. Having a discussion with people who may be nervous can be a productive thing. But anti-vaxers? Don't waste your time.

Same. Don’t contribute to their inevitable Gofundmes or attend their super-spreader funerals either.

Also, it’s probably just me, but I enjoy publicly-shaming them when I see bad (unsafe) behavior in public places. They need to understand they and their behaviors are no longer welcome in “polite society.” (And yes, I get the irony in my own statement.) 😐

6.     +10   Like  

Swiss Roes
    Swiss Roes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Exactly, Clueless. Part of my job working in surgery was explaining to patients the risks. Risk has always been part of medicine. Why are people acting like this is something new? I guess we should take Tylenol off the market because there maybe someone that may have an adverse reaction to it, right? No transplant surgery for Mr. Smith because he might have an issue with the surgery AND the medicine he has to take afterward.

7.     Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Waltzing Matilda @ 9/29/2021, 08:47 PM) 
    QUOTE (Meshell29 @ 29/9/2021, 19:50) 
    I have to diasgree because the science is not consistent. Starting with dont wear a mask to wearing 2 masks.Cloth masks were good now science says they are not protective. They don’t even know how long the vaccine’s protectio will last. My cousin’s 5 year old has to wear a mask in school but during recess outside it can hang from their wrist. A potential deadly germ filled mask hanging from kids’ wrists as they run around- where is the science?? Oh and NYC schools have a policy where the class will be closed only if an adult in the room tests positive, if another student does, it’s ok. Science please! So who exactly is being controlled?? Brain wash is strong here so stay safe and don’t forget to bleet. Baahhhh.

You got more wrong about the policy in NYC than you got right. But I don't have the inclination or patience to try to spell it out.

What I find hilarious is this particular poster and those of her ilk never has a reference to share or an actual suggested solution. It's exactly being contrary for contrary sake. At least libs try to deliver a solution rather than wringing their hands, pretend it's not happening or better yet that there's nothing to try because it's all going to fail.

The NYC school policy is from a news source,the daily news and it is spelled out in black and white.So by all means go ahead and try to explain it. Ps No one is denying the virus or wringing hands. Its trying to deal with mandates etc that is the problem.

8.     +3   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Do you not know how to link an article?

9.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    [QUOTE]Just because you don’t understand something doesn’t mean it isn’t true./QUOTE]

That is really at the heart of it, isn't it?

10.     +9   Like  

Tasty Treat
    Tasty Treat

Group
    Global Mod

Status
    Anonymous
    one of my own family members made a Facebook update today saying, "so this is interesting. I went to urgent care for an ear infection and the nurse told me that a lot of vaccinated people are getting covid. why bother"

ok?? :t0152: a few people explained it to her but howwww are people still this confused :20130930101758-5e972761:

11.     +8   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group
    In the Powder Room Sharing with Wonder 🙌🌎🦋🏆

Status
    Anonymous
    I guess they want a magic fix or off button. Some pretty crystals or a bottle of tequila makes things feel better. Pair all that with low IQ and poor education and the info will never get in. They don't remember their childhood vaccinations that stopped them dying or being damaged by measles, polio etc. They haven't seen tuberculosis. Granny might have died of the flu but hey! She was old! Why would I get a flu jab and so on. I work with people like this and it's infuriating.

12.     +6   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    I’m ready for my booster shot! Also getting the flu shot and Shingles shot too.

13.     Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Here's an ignorant question maybe someone can explain. Every year there's a new flu shot. How do they know what flu strain to expect to address in advance? It's got to take months to develop, test, manufacture and distribute. So how do scientists and doctors predict what's needed to fight that year's flu?

14.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Meow2 @ 30/9/2021, 00:35) 
    one of my own family members made a Facebook update today saying, "so this is interesting. I went to urgent care for an ear infection and the nurse told me that a lot of vaccinated people are getting covid. why bother"

ok?? :t0152: a few people explained it to her but howwww are people still this confused :20130930101758-5e972761:

You would think a nurse would know the answer to that.
    You get vaccinated for Covid, like you have for many disease's like measles, mumps, rubella, DPT, flu,etc. TO PREVENT A SERIOUS CASE.
    If it helps 9 out of 10 people, ISN'T IT WORTH IT??

This reminds me of the controversy over the MMR vaccine. People were convinced that giving the three in one shot was the cause for children being Autistic.
    At the time, I had two grandchildren, a boy and a girl. The girl received the MMR, the boy received the three separate shots. Three years later, my grandson was diagnosed with Autism.🧩

15.     +7   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Waltzing Matilda @ 9/29/2021, 04:39 PM) 
    Here's an ignorant question maybe someone can explain. Every year there's a new flu shot. How do they know what flu strain to expect to address in advance? It's got to take months to develop, test, manufacture and distribute. So how do scientists and doctors predict what's needed to fight that year's flu?

It depends on each country. 114 countries conduct constant surveillance for flu trends. The global collaborative centers meet every year in February, to discuss production of the vaccine for the next flu season, based on previous data. It's quite the undertaking actually.

www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm

4921 replies since 10/11/2020, 17:49   188356 views