OurHalfAssedHomestead Part2: CeleryRules, BevDrools, HowieIsAMule

« Older   Newer »

1. FrenchForeignLegion
        +7   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I have been a long-time viewer of Bev's channel. I agree with what most have said, which was that her older videos were informative (especially at that time when there weren't many canners/homesteaders doing videos on YouTube). Her recipes going back 8-10 years ago were always brown/beige/stodgy, but at least they weren't just a plate of random ingredients thrown together like they are now.

Fast forward to the present, I find that her channel has significantly gone downhill, in that it is pretty much devoid of any useful information. She used to teach us stuff about canning, sewing, etc., but now it just seems like OHHH is a channel of complaining, smoking pot, complaining some more about Tim Hortons just to go back to Tim Hortons, etc.

Of course, she doesn't have an obligation to create content for us - it is her damn channel and she can film and post what she wants. However, that doesn't mean you are then IMMUNE to CRITICISM. If you post content on YouTube that rubs people the wrong way and they tell you it is rubbing them the wrong way, the proper response is to listen to what folks are saying and to see if there is any merit to the criticism. It seems like she is starting to do that (not posting live streams daily, changing the name of the channel, working on some projects, not smoking and snorting so much on camera). But it's not just these things that piss people off. It's really this martyr complex that she seems to be clinging to. She's the arbiter of all knowledge, and to go against her or challenge the words out of her mouth suddenly means you are challenging HER PERSONALLY. It's really irritating to watch.

For example, I hate when people make claims without any evidence. The latest example off the top of my head is that Canadian milk live stream from the store (which has since been deleted). She said that the black cow label means the milk has been mixed with another nation's milk or something, while the blue cow label means the milk is pure Canadian (I can't transcribe the statements verbatim since the stream has been deleted, but she was claiming a difference in the meaning behind the two cow labels). She said that she found this out from Howie. I know we all love our family, but unless Howie works for the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, he isn't a reliable source. In fact, I did some investigation and I found no evidence corroborating her statements about the difference between blue and black cow labels on Canadian milk products. Her statements could very well be true, but I could not find an article that "exposes" the cow labels. So why spread false information without doing research? Or, if it is true, you should post the link where you read the article about the cow labels and let us decide.

The spreading of information without evidence doesn't just begin with the cow labels. She does this all the time. She makes statements about gardening or drugs or the effects of this and that and there is never any evidence. The issue with this is that many people will listen to her and think this information is true, which could actually HURT people. It's fine to give your experience on things, but don't tout information as true unless you have done your research.

This is just one of the bigger issues I have with Bev. The excess pot smoking and passing it off as "medicating" is another big one. Smoking that much pot to cover up ailments that are obviously being compounded due to her weight and lifestyle is a really tragic thing to witness on camera. I am not doubting fibromyalgia as a real thing or that it causes real pain. Heather from The Kneady Homesteader also suffers from fibro and what did she do? She started to exercise, eat better, drink more water, do more. She stopped whining to the camera and tried to make a change. She lost weight. Bev could do the same. She has A LOT of things to do around that house. The outside of her house looks like a huge mess. This has nothing to do with not knowing how to decorate. This is about caring about yourself and having some respect for those around you, your animals, nature, and the energy others put into giving you things for your home. You don't have to be perfect, but I think, if you are going to have a YouTube channel that inspires others, you should at least TRY.

Anyway, that's about all I have to say. She could very well be depressed, which would explain the sleeping all day, the lack of care for her appearance and her house, etc. It could have been going on for a very long time. We should at least try to be empathetic towards that front. I am not going to touch the alleged "e-begging" or her finances because that's a completely separate thing that I honestly don't really care about because people freely gave that money to her. Overall, I just wish she takes some time for herself, try some new things and find some new recipes, and just get out of this neverending loop that she is in.

1589 replies since 15/3/2021, 15:52   92654 views