WaitingForTheShowdownInUtahLikeTheBakery Pt 264

« Older   Newer »

1.     +17   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Jenbo @ 7/18/2021, 11:30 PM) 
    Off topic, but there was a snake in my living room this morning and I still haven’t recovered mentally. Living in the south is fun.

This is why I live where the air hurts my face for 7-8 months out of the year. I could not survive where there are aligators and snakes and other icky bugs. Don't even get me started on Australia and their spiders!

2.     +5   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group
    Just a Tensleigh blue shovel with ALLLLLLLL the vitriol.

Status
    QUOTE (DominantJunk @ 7/18/2021, 04:31 PM) 
    The Bakery version of Jen merch would be way better.

Team Iowncare
    Team Longchamp

Louee Vweeton

Put the Gravy Down

I Crab Walk Umbrellas

Tindergate Survivor

Tensleigh has been found

Trash Plate

sVaroWski

3.     +5   Like  

Muffin Warfare Survivor
    Muffin Warfare Survivor

Group

Status
    If anything, I think isolation has affected lots of mental health for many.

QUOTE (lurker1991 @ 18/7/2021, 09:27) 
    QUOTE (Chance86_ @ 7/17/2021, 07:44 AM) 
    The world is a crazy place. It isn’t safe for women to hike alone in desolate areas or sleep in their cars especially during inclement weather. Jen is a mother, now. It’s naive to think she isn’t putting herself in harm’s way. I don’t even walk the local parks by myself. I can’t imagine risking falling down a mountainside with no help around. She’s putting herself in harm’s way. Those who believe that’s backwards thinking and anti-feminist aren’t facing reality. We are more vulnerable.

Oh, come on. The risk of being murdered or attacked by a stranger is very, very low, but disproportionately hyped up. And I say this as someone with a huge interest in true crime. The risk of being murdered while hiking on the Appalachian Trail, for example, is <0.00003% (www.greenbelly.co/pages/appalachian-trail-murders).

Also unless you're doing some extreme backcountry camping, you're not going to "fall down a mountainside with no help around" unless you're doing things you're not supposed to do like going off the trail. And you can buy a locator beacon if you're really that worried.

Meanwhile 1 in 107 people die in car crashes yet we all continue to drive. 14% of all deaths in the US are attributable to obesity-related causes, yet the obesity rate keeps going up. But the news doesn't freak out about that and Investigation Discovery doesn't make a show about it, so people don't worry about it. People are really terrible at assessing risk.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/all-injuries/p.../odds-of-dying/
    www.nytimes.com/2016/08/18/nyregio...ising-fear.html

I'm a woman. I walk outside by myself for about an hour a day and have been doing this since my teenage years. The main issues I encounter are dangerous dogs as I mentioned previously on this forum, and asshole drivers who don't yield to pedestrians. (And, this summer, thunderstorms, since the weather has been ridiculous.) I can't even remember an instance where someone threatened me when I was out walking by myself. Even in somewhat sketchy areas.

Don't limit your life because you're afraid of something that has almost no chance of happening.

Nope. There is danger in this attitude as well because it’s judgement, and people won’t speak up or try to get treatment for their symptoms for fear of being told it’s all in their head. Of course there are psychosomatic cases! You will find that everywhere in healthcare. Doesn’t mean there aren’t people who truly suffer. Discounting patients who experience new symptoms and who haven’t return to their baseline health means we won’t gain knowledge about the disease process. We have only scratched the surface of understanding COVID and much of what is published for the public is shit. Sorry, not sorry.

If a strong body of evidence comes out indicating that "long COVID" actually exists beyond a) psychosomatic or psychogenic illness, and b) post-viral syndrome that can happen with literally any illness (I had it as a kid and felt constantly nauseous for about 5 years!) then I will change my opinion. I get my information from medical and scientific journals, not "what is published for the public." Right now the biological mechanism of long COVID is unclear. After a year and a half with all the world's resources focused on COVID and record-breaking developments in healthcare related to it, you'd think they'd at least have some idea of what mechanism caused long COVID if it was anything other than those two options I mentioned.

I also find your implication that people who have psychosomatic illness don't "truly suffer" to be concerning. Of course they truly suffer and should be taken seriously, but the course of treatment and prevention is just different in that case.

4.     +15   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    One night, after a long drive …we drive from North Carolina, dropped my son off at his house in florida, and then stayed the night on the beach near Daytona, , before driving home the next day.
    We took a walk on the beach after dark, and on the way back to our room, in the dark space between the beach and the parking lot, an obviously drugged man stopped us and ask if we had any cigarettes. He then pulled out his knife. He didn’t wave it at us or anything, but you could tell he was not in his right mind.
    We stayed calm and just backed away, so as not to agitate him, and took a detour way back to or room.
    My point is, even if you are with someone,and in a populated area, it’s not a guarantee of safety.

5.     +8   Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Jenbo @ 18/7/2021, 23:30) 
    Off topic, but there was a snake in my living room this morning and I still haven’t recovered mentally. Living in the south is fun.

We had one in our toilet... I think of that little nope rope every time I need to pee...

6.     +33   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Jen has always been clueless about safety. She would show her calendar giving the exact dates she’s be on vacation for the rest of the year.

7.     +3   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Thanks to the person who mentioned Nikki Delventhal in the previous thread. She is so much fun, lives in her car with her dog travelling across US and outside US in summer. She hikes alone and with friends. Never looks lonely, meets her friends when she travels to their city. Lives such a full life. Short videos, informative ones, fun ones. Such a stark difference to Jen's depressing videos.

8.     +18   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group
    "Maybe you should put some shorts on or something if you want to keep fighting evil today."

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (I love me some me @ 7/18/2021, 06:31 PM) 
    One night, after a long drive …we drive from North Carolina, dropped my son off at his house in florida, and then stayed the night on the beach near Daytona, , before driving home the next day.
    We took a walk on the beach after dark, and on the way back to our room, in the dark space between the beach and the parking lot, an obviously drugged man stopped us and ask if we had any cigarettes. He then pulled out his knife. He didn’t wave it at us or anything, but you could tell he was not in his right mind.
    We stayed calm and just backed away, so as not to agitate him, and took a detour way back to or room.
    My point is, even if you are with someone,and in a populated area, it’s not a guarantee of safety.

It's true that there are scenarios you can't prepare for even if you are the most careful person in the world. Jen on the other hand is an air head who has a long history of doing stupid things like feeding her kids whole grapes, storing her children's plates next to the trash, etc. That's why many here question her choices, because she frequently DOESN'T make smart or safe choices. It doesn't matter what a hypothetical you (not focusing on any one Baker here) or I would do or have done. The subject is Jen and her penchant for doing dumb things...and then doubling down on them when it is pointed out.

We can discuss ad infinitum whether it's safe to hike alone or camp alone but the bottom line is that Jen is a flake who never seems to think of her or her children's safety and that's why many here are criticizing her for it (and rightfully so IMHO).

Edited by BowlingForSnark - 7/18/2021, 07:15 PM

9.     +12   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (deltaburkefan @ 7/19/2021, 12:48 AM) 
    Jen has always been clueless about safety. She would show her calendar giving the exact dates she’s be on vacation for the rest of the year.

And where her and her families' keys were and she let people know which keys belonged to which people and where her expensive jewelry was locked away (as if somebody couldn't just take the whole jewelry box), and that she kept some of her most expensive jewelry with her in her bag/luggage, and so many other safety concerns I can't remember them all anymore. That always drove me crazy! Like, lady, do you want to get robbed? Thinking back about it now, she has been really lucky no one (especially all the crazy obsessed Jenions) ever tried to rob her or the house in all those years. Shot in the ass with luck indeed.

10.     +8   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group
    She posted Donut Sunday Feb. 9th. That was 5 weeks ago.

Status
    QUOTE (YouGuys! @ 18/7/2021, 21:53) 
    If Jen wants to camp, she should actually try camping. Like actual camping, with a tent, camp chair, little table, a rug to wipe a sand off your shoes before getting into the tent. Little string lights, cooler with drinks and food. You don't need to haul firewood in, just buy it at the campsite. Bring vegan hotdogs, roast 'em over the fire. Make s'mores, have some fun. Setting up camp can be fun, making it cute and comfy.
    What the other campers near her been thinking? I'd be wondering who is that Hermit Girl? Why is she hiding inside her van all the time? She must be roasting in her own funk inside there. So very bizarre.

The campers in her area were probably thinking she is a homeless druggie who stole a van and is evading law enforcement.

11.     +25   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group
    Passing the kutchie pon the left hand side

Status
    Anonymous
    Her description of the number of "iterations" she had to go through with her van sleeping arrangement/position during the night makes it sound unbearable. I think the whole experience can be summed up with her expression:
    Attached Image
    Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 00.10.35

12.     +4   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status

I swear every day on my news feed lately there is a story about a snake being not where they oughta be, as in toilet, bedroom, etc!

13.     +20   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Good Ol’ Suze @ 18/7/2021, 22:50) 

TWO! please! So I will have a backup.
    Size: medium, but I want the tags to say XS.

14.     +8   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    QUOTE (deltaburkefan @ 7/18/2021, 11:29 PM) 
    If you don’t feel safe, that is also your prerogative and you shouldn’t be condescended to for doing what you need to do to feel secure.

There's a difference between saying "I don't feel safe hiking/camping alone" and saying "it's not safe for women to hike/camp alone and you are naive and not facing reality if you think it is." The former statement is just a personal preference. The latter statement is not only condescending, but inaccurate according to statistics. Even more so if you consider that what Jen was doing barely qualified as hiking or camping.

15.     +5   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SkeletonOnThePeleton @ 19/7/2021, 01:15) 

I swear every day on my news feed lately there is a story about a snake being not where they oughta be, as in toilet, bedroom, etc!

Just make the snake into a pet.
    80AD4777-1329-4530-BDD8-4E7031DE63AE

894 replies since 17/7/2021, 02:24   99330 views