WaitingForTheShowdownInUtahLikeTheBakery Pt 264

« Older   Newer »

1.     +15   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    QUOTE (FillingTheVoid @ 22/7/2021, 15:08) 
    I don’t follow YouTube van lifers - what are their typical backgrounds? Similar to Jen with $$ to burn? Regular jobs during the majority of the year with van life vacations/PTO?

Are any other van lifers recently divorced with joint custody of small children? I cannot imagine taking a vacation (journey) like that solo without my kids.

We don’t live in a van, but we live in a 42’ luxury fifth wheel full time. We sold our house over a year ago. My husband is a software engineer, so regular 9-5 and I’m a SAHM to a 2.5 year old and puppy. We explore on the weekends and he sometimes takes a few vacation days here and there. We’re not 1% like Jen, but we live debt free and are certainly in the top 10% of income earners in the USA. We do this by choice and it’s very expensive, more than we paid for our mortgage in a high cost of living area. We plan to buy or build a house by the time our daughter reaches kindergarten.

2.     +4   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Wake me up when this Jen hiatus ends :100:

3.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (VirutalHug @ 22/7/2021, 11:36) 
    Like what? MARCH pictures? So....she is finally taking pictures of herself from the same angles as she sees in the van life community, right? (sight of nature from the open trunk) she must feel like one of the cool guys now, right? Right.
    She must feel so accomplished now.

The shot in the latest video where she woke up to see the trees through her half open sunroof cracked me up.

Actual homeless people who sleep on benches wake up to the same view WITHOUT the obstruction of the sunroof. They just don’t say things like “being out in nature is good for my anxiety.”

Caged indeed. What is it called when your cage is a minivan with power everything that you fill with thousands of dollars worth of things to take to an ugly park and bake it in the sun so you can get inside like an air fryer and frame it as “being in nature” and “going to the beach”?

Homegirl is definitely on meds now. I’ll take whatever she’s having that she deluded herself this much.

4.     +8   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Anywho @ 7/22/2021, 08:41 AM) 
    Wake me up when this Jen hiatus ends :100:

The Ross Migration Out West USUALLY happens around Aug 5-6
    see you then

:goodbye_smiley_emoticon:

5.     +4   Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SeeminglySweetLikeJen @ 7/22/2021, 03:33 PM) 
    QUOTE (FillingTheVoid @ 22/7/2021, 15:08) 
    I don’t follow YouTube van lifers - what are their typical backgrounds? Similar to Jen with $$ to burn? Regular jobs during the majority of the year with van life vacations/PTO?

Are any other van lifers recently divorced with joint custody of small children? I cannot imagine taking a vacation (journey) like that solo without my kids.

We don’t live in a van, but we live in a 42’ luxury fifth wheel full time. We sold our house over a year ago. My husband is a software engineer, so regular 9-5 and I’m a SAHM to a 2.5 year old and puppy. We explore on the weekends and he sometimes takes a few vacation days here and there. We’re not 1% like Jen, but we live debt free and are certainly in the top 10% of income earners in the USA. We do this by choice and it’s very expensive, more than we paid for our mortgage in a high cost of living area. We plan to buy or build a house by the time our daughter reaches kindergarten.

Of course I don't expect you to share your exact vehicle, but could you post a link to the website where you purchased or something comparable? I'd love to see the layout!

6.     +3   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    Friends of ours just upgraded from a pulled camper to a Class C Rv
    they go to nearby state parks with their kids & grands

I LOVE looking at Floorplans :goodbye_smiley_emoticon:

7.     +16   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Hunchback of Glenview @ 22/7/2021, 15:45) 
    QUOTE (SeeminglySweetLikeJen @ 7/22/2021, 03:33 PM) 

Of course I don't expect you to share your exact vehicle, but could you post a link to the website where you purchased or something comparable? I'd love to see the layout!

This is what we have! We have added a washer/dryer and also a dishwasher. We are in the process of making some more extreme modifications to suit our needs and my design aesthetic. But we’ve had it for almost 2 years now and love it!

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/202...oorplans/377mbs

We pull it with a Ram 3500 diesel dually that we purchased new last year. It’s a pretty big rig but our truck handles it well.

8.     +3   Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SeeminglySweetLikeJen @ 7/22/2021, 04:03 PM) 

This is what we have! We have added a washer/dryer and also a dishwasher. We are in the process of making some more extreme modifications to suit our needs and my design aesthetic. But we’ve had it for almost 2 years now and love it!

www.granddesignrv.com/showroom/202...oorplans/377mbs

We pull it with a Ram 3500 diesel dually that we purchased new last year. It’s a pretty big rig but our truck handles it well.

Wow!! Thank you for sharing!!

9.     +4   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Beetrix @ 22/7/2021, 15:48) 
    Friends of ours just upgraded from a pulled camper to a Class C Rv
    they go to nearby state parks with their kids & grands

I LOVE looking at Floorplans :goodbye_smiley_emoticon:

My Dad has a Class A Motorhome and has had several. But since we have a toddler, we felt safer with her in a rear facing car seat in the truck as opposed to trying to install a car seat in a non-dot approved seat somewhere in a motorhome. We love our setup but many families do smaller motorhomes too.

QUOTE (Hunchback of Glenview @ 22/7/2021, 16:05) 
    QUOTE (SeeminglySweetLikeJen @ 7/22/2021, 04:03 PM) 

Wow!! Thank you for sharing!!

It’s funny, we looked at smaller trailers, motorhomes etc. but then landed on this one because it has so much room to spread out and my husband has his own workspace, daughter has the loft for all her toys, etc. When we bought it, we thought it’d be a year or so, like between houses, but then the housing market went crazy! We enjoy traveling but would like a home base. We have a good budget for our next house, there just isn’t anything on the market and we had land that fell through. So we may live in this thing for more like 3-4 years ultimately! Glad we went bigger!

10.     Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SeeminglySweetLikeJen @ 22/7/2021, 16:03) 

Jesus Christ those things now have kitchen islands !! I’m curious you said you live there full-time. But other people out there that buy these things just for fun and use these rarely? I’m not gonna ask how much yours cost but I know these things can cost about the same as a small home. I’m also curious do you have to have full hook up to take full advantage of everything? Or could you go for a week in the middle of nowhere and still be able to use everything? I’m also curious do you guys usually stay put for a longer period of time at certain campgrounds? It’s really crazy how luxurious these things have become

11.     +7   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group
    Building my forever daughter-in-law collection

Status
    Anonymous
    There is a part time van camper with a YouTube channel called Lady Bugout. She is very new to YT. She lived in DR for many years and seems really self sufficient. Anyway, her latest vlog is at a Lake Michigan campground, perhaps with a nuclear element, if so, she didn’t feature it.

I wonder if she sensed the foreboding essence of Jen’s lingering stink.

12.     +1   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    We have a 31ft TT that I love. We have put seasonally at a camp ground, but we hook it up and go places in the winter months. We just got a w/d hooked up in it. It’s game changer.

We just had tent campers ask us if we wanted to sell. We’re seriously thinking about it and moving up to a fifth wheel.

13.     +2   Like  

Spinach Square
    Spinach Square

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Traps Queen @ 7/21/2021, 11:40 PM) 
    BackFromSeclusionButStillFilledWithDelusionLikeJen

I know lots of you say this is your least favorite Jen but obviously miserable sleeping in the back of a dirty Minivan next to a condemned power plant is my favorite. She is miserable and she did all of this to herself.

:clapping-hands-above-head-smile

14.     +6   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status

Even I could camp in that, and that’s saying a lot . It’s beautiful!

15.     +10   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    QUOTE (CakeLover @ 22/7/2021, 16:24) 

Jesus Christ those things now have kitchen islands !! I’m curious you said you live there full-time. But other people out there that buy these things just for fun and use these rarely? I’m not gonna ask how much yours cost but I know these things can cost about the same as a small home. I’m also curious do you have to have full hook up to take full advantage of everything? Or could you go for a week in the middle of nowhere and still be able to use everything? I’m also curious do you guys usually stay put for a longer period of time at certain campgrounds? It’s really crazy how luxurious these things have become

We bought it used, it was about 10 months old and we paid $75k, it retails for around $125k. The truck on the other hand was $88k but we got it for $78k because it was at the end of the model year.

We are fully equipped with a generator and massive batteries, propane/electric fridge/freezer, so we can go about 10 days in the middle of nowhere without full hookups. But my husband needs internet to work, we have a pretty complex system with two cellular cards and a router, it runs is about $275 a month just for internet, but we have to have it.

We often overnight in parking lots (museums, fairgrounds, wineries, farms) or places without hookups, when we are trying to get from point A to point B and want to stop driving for the day. When we first started, we moved every week or less. Some weeks, we moved 3 times in a week! We are now back in Oregon, where we are from, and are staying for 3 months while we house/land hunt. It’s much more affordable to stay in one spot for a month but we get bored. We will be headed to the Gulf Coast of Texas to “winter” and then will be making our way back in the Spring to resume the house hunt.

894 replies since 17/7/2021, 02:24   99330 views