50 Shades of Failure to Launch Pt.41: Will the oldests spread their wings and fly, or depend on mommy dearest to keep getting by?

« Older   Newer »

1.     +7   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Why did we have to watch some rando trying on wedding dresses for over a minute in 50s latest video?

2.     +2   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Itworksformyfamily @ 18/2/2022, 14:15) 
    I find it so bizarre that they never take the kids to do anything in the city when they visit. No trips to see the Rockefeller tree or stroll around Central Park both of which would only involve spending the money for the subway ride into the city. There are SO many things to do. She never even talks about going often as a child. I wonder if she’s ever been to the rockettes. We went in November before they cancelled the remaining performances and our son LOVED it. He also loved riding the subway and just walking through Times Square.

As a former NY resident I can say that the. NY you are taking about is gone. With Covid no one wants to stand in crowds to see the rockerfella tree. 5th avenue stores are long gone. The subway have gone back to being crime ridden, dirty and full of homeless. Sadly the NY I lived in for 64 years is gone.

3. Craftgirl818
        +3   Like  

User deleted

QUOTE (Dumdum @ 18/2/2022, 13:04) 
    QUOTE (Whoa! Black Betty @ 18/2/2022, 02:27) 
    Isn't there some kinda of adult services that offer job training and education in their area? When I was a teen and young adult we had something called Job Corps that offered GED classes and testing. They also taught job skills like resume writing and how to ace a job interview. The military probably isn't for him but with just a little push in the right direction he might be alright in life. 50 isn't doing him any favors. Is she afraid she'll lose access to Jake's check?

I remember Job Corps. I’m sure there’s some type of vocational program or schooling he can go to.

I graduated HS in 2008 and the spring of 2005 I was a freshman. One of my core classes was college prep and real life prep where we went over everything involved..then in 2008 we were required to take a class dedicated to learning the proper way to write resumes, how to conduct yourself in a interview and what to expect in a job. Im sure it has been tweeked some but I'm certain all schools big and small require some class of prepping for the real world so Jake really doesn't have an excuse of not knowing. As far as Paige is concerned I have a gut feeling we are underestimating her. Sure she is immature in a lot of areas of being an adult, but in other areas she is probably more mature than others her same age. She probably does a lot more than what her mother gives her credit for..and I know studies show most homeschool kids are more prepared for life than those who received a public education. The one area I feel bad about is it seems neither Keira or Vanessa encourages college or even education. Im quite proud of Paige that she got a job and has been at it for the last few months. I'm a little more concerned about Jake keeping his...he will expect his manager to coddle him which is sad

4.     +4   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Craftgirl818 @ 18/2/2022, 15:36) 
    QUOTE (Dumdum @ 18/2/2022, 13:04) 
    I remember Job Corps. I’m sure there’s some type of vocational program or schooling he can go to.

I graduated HS in 2008 and the spring of 2005 I was a freshman. One of my core classes was college prep and real life prep where we went over everything involved..then in 2008 we were required to take a class dedicated to learning the proper way to write resumes, how to conduct yourself in a interview and what to expect in a job. Im sure it has been tweeked some but I'm certain all schools big and small require some class of prepping for the real world so Jake really doesn't have an excuse of not knowing. As far as Paige is concerned I have a gut feeling we are underestimating her. Sure she is immature in a lot of areas of being an adult, but in other areas she is probably more mature than others her same age. She probably does a lot more than what her mother gives her credit for..and I know studies show most homeschool kids are more prepared for life than those who received a public education. The one area I feel bad about is it seems neither Keira or Vanessa encourages college or even education. Im quite proud of Paige that she got a job and has been at it for the last few months. I'm a little more concerned about Jake keeping his...he will expect his manager to coddle him which is sad

Or hopefully he will EXCEL being treated like the adult he is. I worked in special education for quite a few years and some kids do amazing when their parents aren’t around to coddle. He has abilities let him use them!

5.     +8   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    Yeah well their kids can only do what they know. Paige probably doesn't know where to turn being that she's been "teaching" herself for years now. She lost out on all the information kids get at school about college or a vocational school. Jake obviously had the information available to him but what that looks like is it has been avoided because of his mother. Her thinking he would enlist and now it looks like he will only have a dead end job if he doesn't get some job/school counseling. They are two of the most selfish mothers I've ever seen.

6.     +11   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group

Status
    I don't think we are underestimating her, and I don't say that to be mean. She may have all the potential in the world, but she has not been given many of the tools needed to succeed as far as I can tell.

I know what I was like as a teen...high achieving in school, music and athletics. I worked hard on our family dairy farm. I was also shy and not very intrinsically motivated. If I had been allowed to hole up in my room and homeschool myself I would have totally done it, and would have done the bare minimum. Most kids are like that.

Paige appears to have minimal in-person social interactions. She has minimal expectations or responsibilities at home. Her schooling is questionable at best. She is almost 18 and has no driver's license. She has an entry level service industry job that anyone could get, so this doesn't impress me. She has artistic talents, but unfortunately it can be hard to turn that into a career that provides a stable income.

Look at her primary role model...Miss Princess Lemon. Paige is home with her daily and sees her lazing around the McMansion watching tv and taking frequent naps, door-dashing regularly and shopping 3-4 times weekly for mostly unnecessary items. She does nothing while having nice things handed to her at every turn. Lemon needs praise every time she does basic tasks like showering, pressing start on the washing machine, or heating up premade food. This is normal to Paige, and likely what she will model her life after. This is just my honest assessment. I'm not very hopeful for her.

7.     +5   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Craftgirl818 @ 2/18/2022, 08:36 AM) 

This is true... typically homeschoolers are better prepared, better educated, etc. HOWEVER, this isn't just because they stay at home. This is because typically the parents who choose to homeschool are more involved, put in the effort, and teach their kids to put in the effort. The parents care and value the education. They get their kids involved in things. Paige probably got some of this in elementary when her great grandmother and grandmother were helping with homeschool and were more involved. But Vee hasn't been involved in forever. Paige has been missing all of that. I do think Paige is likely more self motivated and works to learn things she's interested in like Russian literature, Japanese, and art. I don't think Vee gives her the resources or help to do this outside of whatever Paige can manage at home through the computer or off Amazon. I don't believe Vee is a good homeschool mom, even for a kid who is old enough to do most of the work themselves and has some self motivation. I don't think Vee made sure Paige took the PSAT (or let her know it could be important to try for the National Merit Scholar stuff), the SAT, or the ACT. We know she didn't take her to even the local universities or the community college.

It's good that Vee sent the rest of the kids back to school after she realized she couldn't do Timberdoodle with them. They MIGHT have a better chance. But really, I think it will be Bryce who does ok. He'll be expected I think to be the kid who gets a good job. The girls will more expect to be taken care of in the manner to which they've become accustomed.

8.     +5   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    Honestly, I don't think college would be good for either of them. Their parents haven't set up any sort of life skills for them to do well in college. Youtube shopping hauls isn't a course these days.

9.     +13   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    Vanessa is not a home school mom. She has a daughter who followed some online program to complete high school. There’s a big difference.

There has never been even a slight inclination that she took an ounce of interest in the self taught schooling. So hopefully Paige is doing her own research. I think she has potential. She just needs the right person to navigate all of this for her. It takes actual effort. Not a bag full of DT paintbrushes and glitter

I do think though that having a mother who lays in bed many days and thinks that doing laundry is a big accomplishment, is an issue.

I also think it sucks that Lemon and Timmy keep taking off to these stupid Airbnb’s and leaving the kids at home…especially Paige. Take these kids OUT OF THE HOUSE and let them experience culture….different food… different looking people, different climates besides the one that the hot and rainy and muddy one that the McMansion sits in. Lemons claims she needs to get away from all of the chaos of the house. WHAT????? She has an empty home all morning and afternoon for 5 days every week!!! She is so selfish

10.     +6   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Can someone take a screenshot of Flappy's last video (mine do not come out). With the CC on. Time stamp 18:28. "Things have changed so I'm making a ton of money". This is referring to her YouTube income.

Is she serious??????????????????????

11.     +2   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    I understand what everyone is saying about Lemon and 50. But, Jake and Paige are almost 18. If they wanted to go to school badly enough they could find a way to make it happen. It wouldn't be easy, but they could achieve it. I realize they are both immature and coddled. But I have always believed if you want something badly enough you can make it happen if you work for it. My mom got married the summer she graduated from high school and had me the next year. She didn't really believe in college and didn't see why I wanted to go away to school. She would not contribute to room and board. I worked and babysat all through highschool to pay for room and board and spending money. It can be done.

12.     +3   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (thisisnuts! @ 18/2/2022, 17:59) 
    Can someone take a screenshot of Flappy's last video (mine do not come out). With the CC on. Time stamp 18:28. "Things have changed so I'm making a ton of money". This is referring to her YouTube income.

She says “am i making a ton of money and a six figure income? No. But I’m able to be a substantial contributor to the home now “

13.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Sunshine08 @ 2/18/2022, 11:17 AM) 
    QUOTE (thisisnuts! @ 18/2/2022, 17:59) 

She says “am i making a ton of money and a six figure income? No. But I’m able to be a substantial contributor to the home now “

thanks!

14.     +8   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (IfYouWill @ 18/2/2022, 18:01) 
    I understand what everyone is saying about Lemon and 50. But, Jake and Paige are almost 18. If they wanted to go to school badly enough they could find a way to make it happen. It wouldn't be easy, but they could achieve it. I realize they are both immature and coddled. But I have always believed if you want something badly enough you can make it happen if you work for it. My mom got married the summer she graduated from high school and had me the next year. She didn't really believe in college and didn't see why I wanted to go away to school. She would not contribute to room and board. I worked and babysat all through highschool to pay for room and board and spending money. It can be done.

Except if they need any financial assistance they'll need their parents tax information to complete a FAFSA. I can't see Lemon withholding that from Paige but I can definitely foresee Fiddy withholding the information so he couldn't get aid and also threatening to kick him out if he doesn't do what she says. There's also only two bus lines in their city so getting around to school or work without a license or car isn't going to happen.

15.     +4   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Oh lord I can just hear 50 screeching in the backround, holding her camera in everyone’s face, talking about her wedding to dirty D making this all about her. She looks so classy legs spread #brainsoverbeauty
    Attached Image
    CF32E71C-BFEA-42A1-A84C-2460C58DCB6F

1143 replies since 18/2/2022, 02:07   71798 views