« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   Like  

Protein Pancakes
    Protein Pancakes

Group

Status
    QUOTE (LauraLee @ 18/9/2022, 20:30) 
    I like her.

I don’t dislike her, and her videos are incredibly well done. She’s just kind of “off”. And she doesn’t take criticism well.

2.     +4   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    I get why people like her. She looks like she has the perfect life and is always full hair, full makeup, house is in perfect order, never a bad day etc. Like someone said earlier, her speech pattern is odd. It's almost as if she's reading from a script but trying to act natural. She ends up sounding like an air head. Also I'm pretty sure that if it wasn't for content making $$, none of these influencers would spend anytime decorating (except maybe at Christmas) or doing all these "DIY" projects or cleaning their house or getting dressed up. They would be sitting around like the rest of us just trying to get through the day. Overall she is harmless, but she is a manufactured brand. There is nothing natural about her. I'm sure she is a nice person, but I'm also betting that we don't see the real Allison. This the Disney Allison. Smile for the cameras everyone - don't show even a hint of realism. To get past this I just watch her muted. That way I can like the aesthetic but don't have to listen to her irritating fake voice.

3.     +2   Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    I think that’s what i hate About her. How obviously fake she is. Her onscreen persona is very Disney-fied. Like you said. Everything is wonderful. I’m always happy. My house is in perfect order. My husband is perfect. Our dog gets treated like an actual human baby. It’s the childless millennial influencer aesthetic. Now influencers with children still do a lot of those things but aren’t as fake. I guess Since they have real human children, they aren’t treating the dog like a human child. Her aesthetic was okay. I liked it before they moved. As she started decorating I started thinking, wow the Sahara has more color than this girl. I like Neutrals and beiges. But she doesn’t know how to use the color palette.

Also i agree. If she wasn’t an influencer, she probably wouldn’t be microcleaning her house all day. She would probably have a job that keeps her from doing that. But since her job is to “inspire” people, she has to constantly be adding to the aesthetic of their house. My best friend is an interior designer and her house is literally my dreams. But walking in her house is like walking into a model house. It’s gorgeous but it’s so clean and everything goes together and looks really nice. Doing the job i do, i have Been in tons of peoples houses and i guarantee The only people (outside of actual designers) that have homes that look like real life Pinterest is people who are heavily online. Even the most well-off people are not decorating their houses like this. Sometimes it’s nice to have that clean aesthetic house. But it’s also nice to remember that that type of house is not the norm. Most people don’t have an overall aesthetic for the house that is tied together perfectly from the wall paint to the floor to the tiny decor that just is chefs kiss. Most people have crap on the counters. Food in their original packaging. There’s not a seamless flow from one room to the next like these influencers have their houses to be. And as a single woman, i would love for a seamless aesthetic house. But i can’t afford that life. So when I’m reminded that there are people who aren’t constantly on influencer TikTok, they don’t have houses that look like it was taken straight from a Pinterest board.

4.     +1   Like  

Muffin Warfare Survivor
    Muffin Warfare Survivor

Group

Status
    Oh man I’m glad I discovered this thread! Although as a childless 35 year old I can assure you we are not all clueless about life, so those comments were unnecessary. You think she’ll magically become a mature, self-aware adult by having kids? Having kids doesn’t automatically make you a superior human being.

So I just randomly discovered Allison recently and I was drawn to her perfect sunshine and rainbows land lifestyle, but even more to how she talks. It annoys the crap out of me because 1) it reminds me of my college roommate and 2) it just sounds so. so. fake. As an exvangelical, it reminds me of when I was in women’s ministry at a mega church and everyone tried so hard to fit into a certain persona that did not reflect any kind of grasp on real life. And her clothing style confuses me. But I was also a victim of purity culture, so seeing a “devout Christian” who isn’t really modest like, at all, and is obsessed with showing her shoulders (who wears sweaters hanging off their arms? Who?) is interesting.

But what was even more interesting was I discovered her because I’ve been looking for home decor ideas, and I stumbled upon several YouTube channels that were the exact same thing. The intros were the same. The music was the same. The crafts and decor were the same. Someone is copying someone but it’s really hard to tell who is copying who.

Anyway, I remember being the bright-eyed Christian 20-something who thought I could manipulate the little bubble I created for myself to be exactly what I wanted, but I grew up and realized nothing about that was reality. She’s a homebody because it allows her to control her environment. And doesn’t require a lot of personal growth.

I would also like to know her secret to being so skinny and having so much sugar in her diet. That’s honestly not even fair.

5.     +2   Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    If you were referring to my comment about her treating Palmer like a human child, i just meant that when you have real human children to actually raise you’re not really living in a fantasyland of perfect. There are still momfluencers who do the same thing with their kids (think sad beige parents). They clearly had kids to make them part of the content. Or seized the opportunity to make their once lifestyle/home decor young married couple into a Mecca of using those kids to “parent” other parents (this whole genre of momfluencers who use their kids to parent other parents is a whole other b**** of its own). But i would say even the average women who still has the cottage core boho farmhouse home decor house and children aren’t treating their kids as part of the aesthetic. Which was a big thing i hated About her getting that dog, acting like a little cup of whip cream was a treat that needed to be consumed in pieces. Made me think she’s imposing her whatever bad relationship she has with her own diet on to her dog. Dog’s lick their butts, they don’t need a gourmet overpriced meal. It’s giving “i got a dog as a precursor to having real kids” even though raising humans is not the same as raising a dog no matter how many home goods bow ties and gourmet treats you buy for it.

But the way you mention her fake voice in comparison to the women’s group in church is so true. Everyone is fake happy. Like God doesn’t realize you’re putting up a front but i guess We all kind of do. But i agree With you saying her homembody lifestyle is probably a way she can control her environment, it controls what you allow the outside world to influence into you and is why mega churches (also went to one in high school and early college) do everything to keep you at their facility. The church i went to specifically had a bowling alley, movie theater, sports complex, bookstores, just in the youth facility. They organized all kinds of groups to make friends, they encouraged parents to put their kids in the school. They wanted to keep them in their influence. And that same vocal, sweet, happy, everything is wonderful voice is annoying if you ask me. It makes me feel like i don’t Have the space to be vulnerable about when my life isn’t perfect sunshine and rainbows. And i follow some church people on social media and they act the same exact way. Not that you owe the world your less than sunny content, but i feel Like in church you should be allowed to be vulnerable with the people around you. It’s very much a front to play into the idea that if you just accept Jesus in your heart you too will never have hardships.

Last i saw, she was eating half plates of veggies and “sharing” it with her husband, or making basically veggie soup with broth for her meals. So she probably was getting 1,000-1,200 calories in meals cause she wasn’t eating much of anything. So she probably can eat sugar and it not really bother her. She also “works out”

6.     +1   Like  

Muffin Warfare Survivor
    Muffin Warfare Survivor

Group

Status
    I think having kids will be a huge awakening for her, because you have zero control over what it does, it isn’t simple or perfect, and that’s going to be a huge disrupt in her routine and the reality she’s created for herself.

And I was referring to the comment about influencers with children not being as fake as childless “millennial” influencers (which Gen Z gets mistaken for Millennials often as is the case here. She is categorized as Gen Z). To go with what you were saying, there are several Momfluencers who use their children for attention and to get likes and views. You can tell the kids or spouse aren’t at all into it, but they exploit their families regardless. And everyone just goes along with it because they feel they have to. At least Allison isn’t forcing human minors into performing for a bunch of strangers (yet), compromising their safety and privacy.

I want to go back to all the videos being the same, though! Has anyone else noticed this? One of the biggest ones recently was her “Decorate with Me for Autumn” video and Jaclyn Brooke’s “Fall Shop & Decorate with Me” … they were posted only a few days apart and if you see how their bedrooms are set up they are almost exactly the same (same tree in the same spot, same pillows, same bed frame, etc). The intros are similar, they had almost all the same decor in the same places, and somehow both made a pumpkin coffee syrup with the same coffee station set up. Someone needs to go check this out so we can talk about it. 😂

7.     +2   Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    Something i notice With momfluencers is how they do still control their kids by simply not providing them things that the parents don’t want. There’s a huge trend of parents only having (overpriced) wooden toys with little to no color, no screen time (which is fine until you have two kids with various needs and you cannot provide for both, a screen is a great way to give attention to one kid-such as a baby- then move to the next kid who may be a toddler), they only buy clothes that fit into their momfluencers approved color palette. So even when you do start letting the kid be more independent, they only have little say (ex: do you want the mustard yellow dress or the beige shirt and brown leggings). A lot of parents of young kids make huge points about how they would rather let their kid scream at the store than ever buy a character shirt because it doesn’t fit the aesthetic.

In my own experience with kids, i would say this type of controlling only lasts til the kids are in school. Buuuuuuut! Funny cause they have answer for that too… homeschool. These same parents also homeschool or unschool their kids and only allow them to have friendships within other similar groups. This lifestyle is becoming wildly popular and it’s always at the expense of the kids. I guess Cause unlike the cult-like life of Christianity, there aren’t really any sad beige montessori schools where it’s heavily regulated what the kids are exposed too. The only way to not expose them to anything outside of the sad beige life is to keep them away from society.

Now do i think Allison would do that? Her? Yeah. Totally. She built her entire life on the sad beige boho aesthetic. But with her faith, i could See her sending a kid to a Christian school. I would think her husband who’s supposedly so smart, i would Think he would send a kid to a STEM school and gives off the vibes that arts in school is a waste of time. But because he is the big Christian, i would think he would also send the kid to a Christian school. Either way, they both seem like parents to shield their kid from society.

Going along with what you said, I would not put it past her to get pregnant and then use it for content. Her channel at this point is the bulk of their income. Viewers can only take so much of the my life is perfect gimmick for so long. So she has to keep them coming back. She’s turned her daily life into a business which means everyone is involved. So when a kid comes around, she will have a whole new world of content from what type of parenting will she be (i am Gonna say passive disguised as “gentle”) to what type of crib will she have. There’s an entire world of content to everything from what you fed your kids to what they wore to how to speak to your kids as to not traumatize them. There’s even a debate on whether or not you should tell your kids the truth about Santa from the get go. I honestly hate parenting side of social media and i don’t Even have kids. I can’t Imagine how stressful it is to be a regular mom who doesn’t care about aesthetics or being crunchy or gentle or anxious about whether or not if telling your kid about Santa is gonna send them to the therapists office in 20 years. It’s wild how much these people bank off of making new parents and inexperienced parents anxious about how to raise a child. It’s honestly cruel.

Now i don’t think she will go down the road of teaching other parents how to parent, but i fully expect her to have the most perfect child who is perfect all the time. Who never has tantrums or feelings other than happiness.

As for things being the exact same. This is also another thing about influencers. They all have the same house. I mean I remember when i would Watch Allison heavily and her baby pink thumbnail art was typically how i knew on my discovery page that it was her video. Then i would See copycat thumbnails. I would click on a thumbnail thinking it was Allison and it was someone totally different. I hate how influencers copy each other. Obviously they do it to trick the viewer. So they get more clicks and hope the video is liked and they get followers. But it lacks individuality. Everyone under 40 dress the same, have the same home decor, everything is a white base with pops of grey, blue, wood and beige. My best friends house as gorgeous as it is, is cut right out of a Pinterest board. I love her house and try to mimick mine after hers, but i can’t Afford half the stuff she owns. So much of it is from pottery barn and west elm. And the way the trends change, it’s hard to keep up especially on a single woman’s income. I can’t Imagine feeling pressured to have a house that looks like it could be photographed for a Zillow listing at any moment.

8.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    What bothers me a lot about Allison is the fact of how many trips she makes. I know, it’s their money,… But we’re in a world wide crisis and these influencers act like there’s nothing wrong. A lot of people can’t pay their bills but ohh… let’s make another trip!

9.     +2   Like  

Muffin Warfare Survivor
    Muffin Warfare Survivor

Group

Status
    Yesss they’re always traveling, I even know some people who make six figure salaries that don’t even travel that much like maybe once a year, not once or twice a month. She claims Brandon is so great at budgeting but they seem to just blow money like no tomorrow. When they go out to restaurants they probably spend close to $60-$100, they’re always traveling at least once or twice a month, and she has a very expensive taste in fashion. Princess Polly and some of the other stores she shops at you can’t get a full outfit without spending $200+. Like can they actually afford this stuff or are they just putting it all on credit?

10.     +2   Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SayLien @ 21/10/2022, 09:01) 
    What bothers me a lot about Allison is the fact of how many trips she makes. I know, it’s their money,… But we’re in a world wide crisis and these influencers act like there’s nothing wrong. A lot of people can’t pay their bills but ohh… let’s make another trip!

I get that’s super annoying, but that’s not really their problem. Inflation sucks and sucks even more that some people can just film how to organize a pantry or bake bread and make enough money to travel. But i know where her husband works and even if she wasn’t an influencer and just worked at Disney, they would still make enough money to travel and pay their bills. He makes close to $100k annually. The influencer money just allows them to do it more often and they might as well do it now because it’s not going to be cheap when kids come along.

11.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SEtotheLeft @ 24/10/2022, 12:41) 
    QUOTE (SayLien @ 21/10/2022, 09:01) 

I get that’s super annoying, but that’s not really their problem. Inflation sucks and sucks even more that some people can just film how to organize a pantry or bake bread and make enough money to travel. But i know where her husband works and even if she wasn’t an influencer and just worked at Disney, they would still make enough money to travel and pay their bills. He makes close to $100k annually. The influencer money just allows them to do it more often and they might as well do it now because it’s not going to be cheap when kids come along.

I get that, everyone does with their money what they want. But as an influencer, isn’t it about connecting with your audience? When influencers keep showing off, they get the opposite of that. It’s nice to see their trips once in a while but what Allison does right now, is showing off (my opinion…). And it’s not only Allison who’s doing this, there are lots of influencers that are doing the same thing, I know that. But I think those influencers will lose followers after a while.

12.     +1   Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SayLien @ 24/10/2022, 15:41) 
    QUOTE (SEtotheLeft @ 24/10/2022, 12:41) 

I get that, everyone does with their money what they want. But as an influencer, isn’t it about connecting with your audience? When influencers keep showing off, they get the opposite of that. It’s nice to see their trips once in a while but what Allison does right now, is showing off (my opinion…). And it’s not only Allison who’s doing this, there are lots of influencers that are doing the same thing, I know that. But I think those influencers will lose followers after a while.

I just feel like that’s the way of the influencer. I mean look at these mega influencers like David Dobrik, Mr. Beast and The Ace Family. All of these influencers have something in common and that’s this need to be admired. Whether it’s cause they have the greatest decorated basic white girl house or the ability to travel and make money from it or have a house sized garage full of sports cars that cost more than the average house. Influencing went from making mundane seem interesting to a show-off look at me lifestyle. Whether it’s just moving at 18 to one of the most expensive cities in America (and alone in typically a very nice place) or traveling the world. That’s why everyone and their mom has some kind of platform. They know that this job while being mostly luck and consistency, is fairly easy and eventually pays off if you treat it like a full time business. It’s just the ones who work it even when they aren’t getting views or paid that make it eventually.

I do think though the ones who do stick it out are the ones who need that external validation to feel good. Anyone i know Who is secure in themselves or don’t need social media to brag about their lives are not the ones who are trying to be influencers. There’s something about the external adoration these people get that make them continue to do this. So when you say it’s bragging, it is. But the people who tune in tune in more because they live vicariously through these people. And it’s always the force fed image these people want their fans to admire. In Allison’s case it’s this perfect romantic life, traveling to romantic places, having the perfect husband, having the perfect house, never having a struggle or issue (that gets filmed or spoken about), always having the perfect albeit sad beige outfit on (or some kind of dress that i can Only imagine was straight out of a little house on the prairie). I lost It when she filmed a video redecorating her pantry and she had a floppy sun hat on in the house. Like sis why?! It was so out of place and forced. Then i realized Everything about her is out of a Disney movie vibe. It was like she was trying to be her very own Belle in her perfect little village. But that’s her image. Some kind of book character in a perfect village where she can live like it’s the 1800’s biking to the library and making bread in her free time.

13.     +1   Like  

Muffin Warfare Survivor
    Muffin Warfare Survivor

Group

Status
    She has vocal fry. I loved watching her for a short time, but I just can't with the voice.

14.     Like  

Muffin Warfare Survivor
    Muffin Warfare Survivor

Group

Status
    Someone please explain to me what the heck is this outfit (posted today on her FB page from Las Vegas)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbi...837247126493091

15.     Like  

Donut Crawl
    Donut Crawl

Group

Status
    QUOTE (SmartyFox @ 6/11/2022, 04:45) 
    Someone please explain to me what the heck is this outfit (posted today on her FB page from Las Vegas)

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbi...837247126493091

Can’t really blame someone who doesn’t know what Fall is really like. Idk what the fall in Vegas is like, but in Florida, we have no idea how to dress for anything under 60.

140 replies since 6/3/2022, 20:03   58836 views