Three Rivers Homestead

« Older   Newer »

1.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Towanda!‚ sweetie @ 30/10/2023, 16:11) 
    My mom has Celiac, and gluten free foods do not brown like regular baked goods and stuff, so that might be part of it.

It sure is but not everything she makes is gluten free. I think the gluten free is more for her since she has Chrons Disease. She said more then once x contains gluten that I can't have or this is for my family and I make myself something gluten free. I'm not sure if she is completly gluten free or just avoids them as much as possible.

And still the non gluten free food looks still not very appetizing. I know that doesn't say anything about the taste. I had a very delicious recipe for lobster years ago. It didn't look very appetizing but sure people wanted seconds even if they normally were small eaters. Eventually I figuered out some tweaks that made it look better and didn't change the taste of the whole dish.

Her way is ok, it's not all about the look but also about nutrition and if that is their way then it is. Just expect some comments on it when showing it online.
    Also with some things and the way she does think I doubt that it is really as nutrious as she makes it out to be.

Again, that is what I think but that comment can be expected when you go online with things like this.

2.     +1   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group
    On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair...

Status
    I just mentioned it because she has said that before as to why things look pale.

I wonder what type of lighting she has in her kitchen cuz I know if I take pictures under certain lights in my house things look different.

3.     +1   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Towanda!‚ sweetie @ 10/30/2023, 04:11 PM) 
    My mom has Celiac, and gluten free foods do not brown like regular baked goods and stuff, so that might be part of it.

I remember her addressing this exact reason (not getting brown) when people were commenting how pale her baked goods looked.

4.     +3   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    I believe she was actually blaming being dairy free for the lack of browning as nut juices (they aren’t milk!) don’t contain the same sugars that milk does.

Regardless of browning or not I stand by that her food looks unappetising (at least on camera). I appreciate that not every meal needs to be some gourmet feast but we do eat with our eyes and if you care for your family you want to provide them with nice things

5.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (grilledcheesesandwiches @ 30/10/2023, 20:01) 
    I believe she was actually blaming being dairy free for the lack of browning as nut juices (they aren’t milk!) don’t contain the same sugars that milk does.

Regardless of browning or not I stand by that her food looks unappetising (at least on camera). I appreciate that not every meal needs to be some gourmet feast but we do eat with our eyes and if you care for your family you want to provide them with nice things

But if you see some of her cooked meat not even needing milk or so in the recipe it still looks bland and to be honest hard to chew... No wonder she has so much left to put in a stew or soup for lunch because they didn't eat all the meat she cooked for dinner.
    She has portion control but if you see the meat of 1 dinner that didn't get eaten so she will add it to next days quick lunch soup for her and the kids...

6.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Blabbermouth @ 30/10/2023, 19:34) 
    QUOTE (Towanda!‚ sweetie @ 10/30/2023, 04:11 PM) 

I remember her addressing this exact reason (not getting brown) when people were commenting how pale her baked goods looked.

Wouldn’t a quick egg wash give those baked goods some shine and color? She has plenty of eggs. Maybe it’s just about filling bellies and not about how the food looks.

7.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (ShecksterTheGreat @ 30/10/2023, 22:24) 

Wouldn’t a quick egg wash give those baked goods some shine and color? She has plenty of eggs. Maybe it’s just about filling bellies and not about how the food looks.

For her it is about filling bellies, not the looks. And that is totally fine but as I said before people will have an opinion if you show this off online.
    For me personally it is just that all her food looks kinda sad, not only the gluten free bakes goods.

8.     +4   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (ShecksterTheGreat @ 10/30/2023, 10:24 PM) 

She has replied in that way on videos...about filling bellies, not how the food looks b/c the kids don't care, as long as it tastes good. I don't eat her food and her food does look bland but it's her kitchen, her way of cooking.

9.     Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Blabbermouth @ 31/10/2023, 13:20) 
    QUOTE (ShecksterTheGreat @ 10/30/2023, 10:24 PM) 

She has replied in that way on videos...about filling bellies, not how the food looks b/c the kids don't care, as long as it tastes good. I don't eat her food and her food does look bland but it's her kitchen, her way of cooking.

She does what she wants and ofcourse the kids wont care much. They are used to it and not hungry. But for me snark value here is that it is with all the stuff she makes. Sometimes I have no energy left at the end of the day and put minimal effort in cooking the meal and certainly don't care about it being goodlooking but still I never get anything that bland. So (snark mode on) if I with no effort never get food that bland how much extra energy does she put in to make it look that bland?

Anyway I think I'm over the topic of how her food looks like now.
    Nutrition value like she claims I am not over yet.

10.     +3   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I question her claims on nutrition value. It's one thing to eat from jars in the winter but I'm not convinced there is much nutrition left in the vegetables processed in jars with pressure canning.

I did green beans for the first time, we don't like them. They are so soft and no way hold their nutrition. I will have to use them in soups b/c even as a side dish the texture and taste is just not for us. So, I'll continue to freeze my beans as we like to just steam until tender crisp and they taste so much better.

I think veggies hold their nutrition better by blanching/flash freezing. But, I'm no expert and for winter, that's how we do most of our veggies except keep our root veggies in cold storage.

11.     +1   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Blabbermouth @ 31/10/2023, 13:39) 
    I question her claims on nutrition value. It's one thing to eat from jars in the winter but I'm not convinced there is much nutrition left in the vegetables processed in jars with pressure canning.

I did green beans for the first time, we don't like them. They are so soft and no way hold their nutrition. I will have to use them in soups b/c even as a side dish the texture and taste is just not for us. So, I'll continue to freeze my beans as we like to just steam until tender crisp and they taste so much better.

I think veggies hold their nutrition better by blanching/flash freezing. But, I'm no expert and for winter, that's how we do most of our veggies except keep our root veggies in cold storage.

Nutrition gets lost in any process. Some processes more then others or new chains get formed. But for example that lemonade she made. The juice already lost vitamin C with freezing but it is still has vitamine C in it. Then she continues to delute it and claims that pitcher is for the whole week just to get a boost. So it will be in the fridge for the last of it been used a week later. You won't get a boost out of that anymore and certainly not at the end of the week.
    Same with her berries she reuses 2-3 times at least for berry juice. After the first use the only noticable thing you get out of them will be some flavour.

Edit when I say nutrition gets lost in any process I mean some of the total value, not all ofcourse.

12.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    Yes blanching and freezing holds the most nutrition in your food. Tho it will loose some the longer it stays in the freezer. It is my preferred method aswell but I don't always have the freezer space for it.
    Canning is good just certain types of veg are not liked canned by many and if they have the choice they will opt to freeze.
    For her family that freeze dryer is truly a blessing. Freeze dried fruit will keep upto 90% of the value.

And personal opinion here, they can use it. They aren't completly unhealthy but they look rather ashy. Except for the husband but I saw someone posted he buys his lunch and doesn't take any from home. Maybe that is what makes the difference?

13.     +5   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Don’t you dare say her children look unhealthy; they’re perfect and we’re just too used to seeing obese children 🙄

Don’t get me wrong, I agree we have completely screwed up our idea of what is normal/healthy because the vast majority of a lot of developed nations are definitely not healthy…. But also your grey-skinned, painfully thin, overworked children are not a picture of health either.

14.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (grilledcheesesandwiches @ 31/10/2023, 19:29) 
    Don’t you dare say her children look unhealthy; they’re perfect and we’re just too used to seeing obese children 🙄

Don’t get me wrong, I agree we have completely screwed up our idea of what is normal/healthy because the vast majority of a lot of developed nations are definitely not healthy…. But also your grey-skinned, painfully thin, overworked children are not a picture of health either.

When I say they look unhealthy it's not about their weight. They look ashen, the whole family except for Adam does. The baby still looks good aswell and the younger boys are starting to loose it. Like it or not, it is an observation. There might be a reason for this but so far Jessica hasn't said anything about that and normally she is quite upfront and defensive.

Also this is a snark forum and we just post our comments and observations.
    No need to attack anyone with the words 'don't you dare' Feel free to scroll past.

15.     +10   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Yeah that was clearly sarcasm aimed at Jessica who won’t allow anyone to say anything she doesn’t like. Read the tone.

761 replies since 28/10/2023, 00:21   67829 views