Three Rivers Homestead

« Older   Newer »

1.     +2   Like  

Chess Pie
    Chess Pie

Group
    On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair...

Status
    QUOTE (Blabbermouth @ 31/10/2023, 13:39) 
    I question her claims on nutrition value. It's one thing to eat from jars in the winter but I'm not convinced there is much nutrition left in the vegetables processed in jars with pressure canning.

I did green beans for the first time, we don't like them. They are so soft and no way hold their nutrition. I will have to use them in soups b/c even as a side dish the texture and taste is just not for us. So, I'll continue to freeze my beans as we like to just steam until tender crisp and they taste so much better.

I think veggies hold their nutrition better by blanching/flash freezing. But, I'm no expert and for winter, that's how we do most of our veggies except keep our root veggies in cold storage.

We freeze ours too. We only can our jellies, jams, sauerkraut, applesauce, apple butter, stuff like that. I dehydrate some stuff but most gets frozen.

2.     +2   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (grilledcheesesandwiches @ 31/10/2023, 20:27) 
    Yeah that was clearly sarcasm aimed at Jessica who won’t allow anyone to say anything she doesn’t like. Read the tone.

Sorry if I misunderstood. Can happen. Reading and responding in a quick break can cause things like this.

3.     +4   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    It doesn’t surprise me the kids look pale because her food does too. They spend a lot of time outside in the summer and still look pale and I can’t imagine Jessica being a fan of sunscreen so maybe it is just her camera/lighting

4.     +1   Like  

Marnie's Cookie Jar
    Marnie's Cookie Jar

Group

Status
    Her kids do look quite skinny too. I understand a lot of kids these days are too heavy, but hers literally look like just skin and bones.

5.     +6   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I think she shows the kids far too much, especially on IG and I'm quite surprised of that. I remember in a video her addressing comments on how skinny her kids are and of course she "re-assured" her audience, they were perfectly healthy. I know she take them to the dentist for regular checkups, etc b/c Adam has coverage through work. Wonder if she would if he didn't have insurance. Has she ever mentioned if she takes the young ones to a pediatrician? Especially if she's birthed the last 2-3 at home.

6.     +2   Like  

Hoe Wheat Bread
    Hoe Wheat Bread

Group

Status
    QUOTE (Blabbermouth @ 2/11/2023, 15:02) 
    I think she shows the kids far too much, especially on IG and I'm quite surprised of that. I remember in a video her addressing comments on how skinny her kids are and of course she "re-assured" her audience, they were perfectly healthy. I know she take them to the dentist for regular checkups, etc b/c Adam has coverage through work. Wonder if she would if he didn't have insurance. Has she ever mentioned if she takes the young ones to a pediatrician? Especially if she's birthed the last 2-3 at home.

I’m pretty sure Elizabeth did the “well baby” checks on baby Hannah, maybe alongside a midwife. No mention of a pediatrician.

7.     +8   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    That just made me think of the constant parentification of the elder ones and how much that enrages me

8.     +7   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    I followed her in instagram for a little bit and watched some videos on YT. I stopped following when she just went too over the top for me with her religion and beliefs. I liked her as an alternative to the fake homesteaders who have huge followings on YT but have NO idea what they are doing and have no business teaching. I mean she at least has real life knowledge of homesteading. But I always wondered about what she said about nutrition. Like it's surprising that the amount of nutrition she might even possibly be adding by grinding her grains each day, would really be worth the effort and less sleep. It seems obsessive and pointless when she has so much else to take care of do.

The seem like a happy family and I feel like the older kids seem to be intelligent. Hopefully the younger ones will be as well. I don't know much about her education program but I'm sure I'd hate it. I just don't think any of the kids are prepared to lead a life outside that house, in the real world..like at all, ever. I feel like they are too sheltered and she's almost guarantied they'll all have to build houses on their property.

9.     +5   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    QUOTE (YouGuysICan't @ 3/11/2023, 02:18) 
    I followed her in instagram for a little bit and watched some videos on YT. I stopped following when she just went too over the top for me with her religion and beliefs. I liked her as an alternative to the fake homesteaders who have huge followings on YT but have NO idea what they are doing and have no business teaching. I mean she at least has real life knowledge of homesteading. But I always wondered about what she said about nutrition. Like it's surprising that the amount of nutrition she might even possibly be adding by grinding her grains each day, would really be worth the effort and less sleep. It seems obsessive and pointless when she has so much else to take care of do.

The seem like a happy family and I feel like the older kids seem to be intelligent. Hopefully the younger ones will be as well. I don't know much about her education program but I'm sure I'd hate it. I just don't think any of the kids are prepared to lead a life outside that house, in the real world..like at all, ever. I feel like they are too sheltered and she's almost guarantied they'll all have to build houses on their property.

The feeling I get is that the children get some education but more to a simple life. She did say tho her oldest was preparing for college, something with computers. And then there is David, the one who likes to bake. I feel she is pushing stronly on that part for him. And has been ever since he showed any interest in baking. It feels like he's pushed to become a baker. Good if that is what he wants but it is kinda all he knows except from the farm chores.
    The girls are being trained to become good housewifes.

In almost every video there is a hint of that 'training'. Hard to explain.

Also with certain chores I get the feeling that she was glad her children were finally old enough to do certain things so she could hand them over to them. She mentioned a few times that chore is for x now so I don't have to do that anymore. Maybe she doesn't mean it that way but it comes over like that to me.

10.     +8   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    It infuriates me when an adult makes choices (to move to a large property, to have a giant garden and animals, to have a million kids, whatever) when they can’t handle the workload.

I do believe kids should have chores but not because the parents can’t handle the amount of work there is so create quite a significant load for their kids who never chose to be one of 9 siblings and aren’t old enough to be parents, or didn’t choose the homesteading lifestyle, or whatever - and in Jessica’s case, some of those chores are filthy and bloody hard work.

If Jessica and Adam want to raise beef and poultry and have a bunch of kids and have a large garden and whatever else they’ve chosen, they should be the ones doing the work for it - not sending their kids (with zero body fat for warmth) out in snow and heatwaves and whatever other adverse conditions because they don’t want to do it themselves. If it is too unpleasant for adults it’s definitely too unpleasant for kids.

11.     +2   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    QUOTE (Xsari @ 11/3/2023, 01:48 AM) 
    QUOTE (YouGuysICan't @ 3/11/2023, 02:18) 

The feeling I get is that the children get some education but more to a simple life. She did say tho her oldest was preparing for college, something with computers. And then there is David, the one who likes to bake. I feel she is pushing stronly on that part for him. And has been ever since he showed any interest in baking. It feels like he's pushed to become a baker. Good if that is what he wants but it is kinda all he knows except from the farm chores.
    The girls are being trained to become good housewifes.

In almost every video there is a hint of that 'training'. Hard to explain.

Also with certain chores I get the feeling that she was glad her children were finally old enough to do certain things so she could hand them over to them. She mentioned a few times that chore is for x now so I don't have to do that anymore. Maybe she doesn't mean it that way but it comes over like that to me.

No I totally get what you mean about the feeling of "training" - I feel like with the girls she wants them to seem almost tom-boyish and smart but ultimately it would be incomprehensible to her that they wouldn't choose to start family homesteads just like she did. I feel like Elizabeth (hopefully I don't have the name confused, talking about 2nd oldest daughter) could really be someone amazing someday, I feel like she has something special and I can't explain it. And it's fine if she chooses to be an amazing mom, but I worry none of them will feel like they have the choice especially if the boys never really leave the nest. I had totally forgot about David and the baking! If he truly enjoys it I hope he gets the change to pursue it before he's used as a kitchen workhorse and gets burnt out on it.

12.     +2   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    I agree with the feeling about the girl, I think it is Elisabeth. I feel she has so much in her but is very limited in options of what to do.
    And David yes, if baking is what he wants that is totally fine but it has to be his choice.
    Not being pushed to it and then get burned out in a few years time.

I stimulate my sons interests.My youngest and yes he's only 9, was 8 at the time was all about cooking. I found a kid workshop nearby and asked him if he wanted to do it. He finished it and had fun but when it finished he said 'mam I don't think that's really going to be something for me'. I told him that was fine and that he had plenty of time to figure what he wanted. After that he didn't do anything in the kitchen for months. Yes get his cereal and sometimes he would even ask me to do that for him. Same with a sandwich. He would just put ham or cheese in it. If he wanted lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber or even a spread he asked me.
    Now he's starting to slowly pick up a bit again and I just let him at his own pace.

If David would have 2 interests, lets say computers and baking, she would push him towards baking because that fits her style more.

I guess what irks me the most is her handing of things to the children but when it comes to her then downscaling is possible. She's always on about how the garden is totally hers and that's fine. But she downscaled it because it was to much for her at one point. And she's a grown woman.

During summer she had 2 video's a week. I didn't know at first it was to contribute to a truck they wanted to buy for the oldest since I don't follow her on instagram. I thought oh she has so much to show this summer that she is doing 2 video's. Then at the end the explanation came. They got the money for the truck, she was so happy when Adam told her that so she could go back to 1 video a week.

With her most of the things are quite double, rarely just straight forward.

13.     +5   Like  

Muffin Tosser
    Muffin Tosser

Group

Status
    Anonymous
    She took a week off IG and then came back on to say Gabe got a job part time and then does his school when he's home. He leaves when Adam does so she has to do his chores now. Well....you should expect to, IMO. She says she's not complaining...but she is b/c she's lost her worker.

I appreciate seeing a family not get caught up in all the distractions of the world and not try and keep up with the Jones'. Also, a family that focuses on the traditional family values that seem to be lost in the world is admirable. BUT, she needs to loosen up her apron strings here. The 4 oldest are not babies. It irks me to no end when she dishes out the food in portions. And, folks must have commented questing the small portions for the big kids b/c she has said a couple times the " big kids" can go back for seconds if they like. Geez, let the big kids dish out their own portions the first time around. Is Gabe going to be in college and then work full time and mommy will pack his lunch kit?

It's beginning to annoy me that she's talking out of both sides of her mouth...how she's a mom of 8 and this and that and then complaining out of the other side of her mouth. WELL, HELLO, you chose to have all these kids, what did you think life would be like?

And, don't get me started on these YTubers saying homegrown this and homegrown that....WE GET IT already. She's one of the worst for this. We watch your channel, WE KNOW that you have your own beef and WE KNOW you have chickens for eggs, blah, blah. Just stop!

14.     +3   Like  

Lumpy Frosting
    Lumpy Frosting

Group

Status
    I dish out dinner aswell for the 4 of us. Portions are according to what I found what everybody eats. The main reason I do this is to even out a bit what everybody gets. If I leave it to my husband and children they will pick mostly meat and leave the veg in the pan. To avoid that and getting complaints from the last one to dish out I just do it myself. What they do with seconds is up to them but I find it important that everybody gets a fair amount at first.

And some meals are just cooked for a good sized 1 portion with no leftovers.

15.     +4   Like  

Sugar Coma
    Sugar Coma

Group

Status
    I have many issues with how things are run but o will say as the youngest of 11 kids my dad did the same portioning out so that my oldest brothers didn’t eat all the food before the younger ones got to eat at all.

Her kids needs to get out more in the world. I don’t typically trust home churching. The child with the allergy needs to learn how to live in the world with an allergy. I do think he’s one of the older ones so hopefully he’s figuring it out so all of them can get out more.

761 replies since 28/10/2023, 00:21   67837 views